Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
OldGrantonian

Stickies does not open from desktop icon Empty Stickies does not open from desktop icon

Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:30 am
I have Stickies v10.1a in Windows 10.

At Windows startup today, when I clicked on the desktop Stickies item, the icon flickered but did not respond.

Clicking stickies.exe in File Explorer does not respond.

Restarting Windows did not remediate.

Stickies was working OK before shutdown yesterday.

Date of stickies.exe is 01/07/2023

Please advise.

Thanks
guest_today

Stickies does not open from desktop icon Empty Re: Stickies does not open from desktop icon

Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:15 pm
Can you Rightclick on the trayicon  ( not the desktop icon ) and see the menu ? You can open " Manage notes " to see if you can find your stickies in the desktop "folder" on the leftside .

If you rightclick the windows startbutton and click Task Manager you can see if stickies.exe is in the list of running apps.
OldGrantonian

Stickies does not open from desktop icon Empty Re: Stickies does not open from desktop icon

Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:00 pm
>> Can you Rightclick on the trayicon  ( not the desktop icon ) and see the menu ? 

Yes

BTW: Left clicking on the tray icon launches a new note. So currently that's my only method of creating a new note. But that's not a big deal :-)

>>  You can open " Manage notes " to see if you can find your stickies in the desktop "folder" on the leftside .

Yes. All Stickies are present as usual - including pending deletions.

>>  If you rightclick the windows startbutton and click Task Manager

I don't use the current Win 10 Start button. I think it's Win 7, which allows access to all apps arranged by frequency of use.

>> you can see if stickies.exe is in the list of running apps.

I use Ctrl+Alt+Del  >  Task Manager to show running apps.

Stickies.exe is not in "Apps". But it's in "Background processes". I don't know if that's the normal config, or just in my case.

Thanks
guest_today

Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:22 pm
It seems stickies is running normally . What is the problem , what is missing that you had before but not now ? If you normally have desktop stickies appearing when you click the desktop icon ? If they are now missing you can use the option " rescue offscreen " in the traymenu to move them back to the screen area.

Yes , you are right stickies is running as a background app i checked it on my system  Stickies does not open from desktop icon 1f62e
OldGrantonian

Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:52 pm
I never cracked this issue, but I've worked around it.

Reminder: The issue was that single or double-clicking on the desktop icon did nothing. (At some time in the past, a Stickie would have been been launched.)

I managed to move the Stickie from the desktop to the taskbar. Single or double-clicking again did nothing. But a right-click showed a menu containing "New note". So that was a step forward.

There has always been a perfectly-working Stickie icon in the hidden stuff for the system tray. So I dragged that icon to the visible part of the sys tray (at the right). Now, single-clicking launches a new Stickie. So now all is right with the world.

Thanks
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum