Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dan

Backup and restore stickies but only have mdb files v7.1e Empty Backup and restore stickies but only have mdb files v7.1e

Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:42 am
Hi,

I just got a new pc and was trying to backup and restore all my stickies on to my new pc from the old one. Both are v7.1e to try and negate compatibility problems. When I backup to a folder it gives me a mbd file, an empty image folder and config settings on a notepad. When I try to import on the new machine it seems it wants a csv file which doesn't exist. When I try to open the mbd file I get 'cannot be a zero length string'. Just wondering how to go about this. thanks

Dan
guest__user

Backup and restore stickies but only have mdb files v7.1e Empty Re: Backup and restore stickies but only have mdb files v7.1e

Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:50 am
I would just copy the whole stickies data directory from your old pc to replace the one in your new pc , you need to exit stickies first if it is running .

As far as i know there is no cvs file used by stickies , what error does it say ?

btw you cannot upgrade from 7 to 10 if that is your intention , you need first to upgrade to version 8 , the conversion from mdb to db database only works on at least version 8 format .
Dan

Backup and restore stickies but only have mdb files v7.1e Empty Re: Backup and restore stickies but only have mdb files v7.1e

Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:14 pm
I actually tried that, I copied all the files from 'stickies' in the folder 'programs files (x86)' then pasted them into the same place on the new pc. They do not appear at all in it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. thanks
Dan

Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:15 pm
Yes I did close stickies before copying.
Dan

Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:21 pm
It just seems like it should be easier, like do a backup and then do a restore but it doesn't work that way. You have to know work arounds or code or something. Whats the point of backup if you can't restore anything?
guest__user

Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:21 am
Yes , restore is the first choice and it never failed me so i wonder what is going wrong .
I can only suggest set the backup on a usb and copy stickies.exe in the same dir as the mdb datafile .

Try it starting from the usb on your old pc ( close its stickies first ) if it works try it on the new pc .

When you installed v7 on the new pc did it go without any error ?
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:31 pm
Dan wrote:It just seems like it should be easier, like do a backup and then do a restore but it doesn't work that way. You have to know work arounds or code or something. Whats the point of backup if you can't restore anything?

The Restore function was introduced in v8 of Stickies.  Sure, it should probably have been added at the same time as the Backup function but hey.

Use v8, and you'll be able to restore your data using the app.  Prior to v8, there was a KB article for how to perform a restore, but seeing as v8 was released in 2014, I'd hope that most people have had a chance to spot the new version and update, getting the new function.

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum