Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
hoppalong

Can't Unroll - Windows 10, Stickies 10.0- 10.1 beta Empty Can't Unroll - Windows 10, Stickies 10.0- 10.1 beta

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:57 pm
I have only two stickies. Very rarely I can't unroll one or the other with double click on title bar.
I can solve this only with closing and deleting the sticky and reloading the .sti file, and then there is calm for a few months, roll and unroll work well.
Now this occurred in the newly installed 10.1a Beta4 too.

Can't Unroll - Windows 10, Stickies 10.0- 10.1 beta Empty Re: Can't Unroll - Windows 10, Stickies 10.0- 10.1 beta

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:21 am
Did you try to roll/unroll using the rightclick menu or the hotkey alt+r ? As it only occurs sometimes it will be difficult to find the cause . Instead of using sti you could simply clone the malfunction sticky using  Ctrl+drag the titlebar it creates a new identical " window " but hopefully without the roll problem .

Restarting stickies does not solve it too ?

Best regards ,
hoppalong

Can't Unroll - Windows 10, Stickies 10.0- 10.1 beta Empty Re: Can't Unroll - Windows 10, Stickies 10.0- 10.1 beta

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:14 pm
Yes, I tried to roll/unroll using the rightclick menu too, but no difference.
I didn't know about Alt R - where is it specified? I don't see it in Settings/Hotkeys or in rightclick menu, but found in v7.0a changes.

Cloning with Ctrl Drag, closing and deleting the original works fine.

A little bit inconvenient to have to close it first, then delete it from the closed ones. Perhaps direct deletion from the menu could also be allowed.

If a problem occurs again, I'll try these options as well.

Edit: I found Alt R in Stickies help - Keyboard shortcuts too

Last edited by hoppalong on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:17 pm
You can delete a sticky without sending it to the " closed " when you hold shift when clicking the close button. One of the magic places is the keyboard shortcuts topic in the help file .
It is a treasure trove of ideas also the alt r option !   Wink

When you have the problem can you still enter text in the sticky or does it have other problems ? I wonder if Tom Revell will ever find the cause these are nightmarish problems for software developers !
hoppalong

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 pm
Thank you, Shift click Close or Shift Ctrl D (permanently delete) works fine.
This way I can easily duplicate/recreate the sticky and permanently delete the problematic sticky.
So far the sticky created with .sti worked fine - for a while,

I rarely modify these stickies, mostly I read them, so I don't know, whether I can enter text or not in this state. The only problem I know is that I can't see the text, only the title.

If  the problem occurs again, I will see, what can I do.
hoppalong

Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12 pm
Sooyke wrote:Did you try to roll/unroll using the rightclick menu or the hotkey alt+r ? As it only occurs sometimes it will be difficult to find the cause . Instead of using sti you could simply clone the malfunction sticky using  Ctrl+drag the titlebar it creates a new identical " window " but hopefully without the roll problem .

Restarting stickies does not solve it too ?

Best regards ,

This issue occurred again, I tried all your suggestions, only create a new clone (Ctrl Drag titlebar) helped.
Thanks for the advice.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:43 pm
Did alt-r also not roll up the note?

I wonder whether this is a problem with mouse events, a problem with Stickies logic, or perhaps one with redrawing the note.

Do you find (presumably you do) that restarting Stickies also solves the problem?

Tom
hoppalong

Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:51 am
Alt R didn't help, I tried it first.

Then I tried the cloning, it worked.

Next time this occurs I will try with restarting Stickies.

Regards
hoppalong

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:37 am
This issue occurred again, and Stickies restart doesn't help.

In summary:
Cloning the note or recreating it from STI solves this,
double click on title bar, Alt R, Restarting Stickies doesn't help.

I don't think i can try anything else
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:58 pm
No, I'm not sure I can help much either - this isn't something I've heard about before.

My guess would be that some other software on your machine is interfering with that window.  You say it's rare - have you found any pattern as to when it happens?

Control-dragging a note to copy it creates a new window.  The same happens when you close and then restore a note - although the content is the same, Windows sees it as a new window.  That's why I'd very much expect a restart of the app to also solve the problem - as that will create brand new windows for everything that Stickies uses.

Tom
hoppalong

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:59 pm
I can't find any sequence - in the last years I very rarely use (read/write) these notes, Stickies opens them in Rolled Up states in every system boot, so it’s a complete surprise that I can't unroll one or both.

But because it’s a rare issue, I think we can close this topic.

Thanks
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum