Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
snissen

Stickies and OneNote (on Windows) Empty Stickies and OneNote (on Windows)

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 pm
I've used Stickies for years at work to preserve all my stray thoughts. Now that I'm retiring, I have the idea that I'd like to transfer all my work Stickies into a OneNote notebook, one Stickie per page. It would be easy to copy the single notebook to my home computers, and would keep all that work-related stuff together, out of the way of my home Stickies I keep open.

Has anyone done anything like this, migrating Stickies into a OneNote notebook? I'm completely comfortable following detailed procedures, and have even scripted command lines in different operating systems. But this is a once-and-done project I'm unlikely to use again.

I admit I've not had good results with trying to copy Stickies between computers, which is why I thought OneNote might be a useful transfer-and-archive vehicle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stickies and OneNote (on Windows) Empty Re: Stickies and OneNote (on Windows)

Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:10 am
Stickies and OneNote (on Windows) Onenot10

I never used onenote so i cannot try it but there is an app in windows store that sets up onenote as printer. You can then print your sticky to it .

It depends how many stickies you have but maybe it is worth trying it .

Best regards ,
snissen

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:25 am
That's a reasonable idea. Thanks!

I'd holding out for a solution that will let me "pack up" all my Stickies at once, as there are about 50 of them.

(A career of 33+ years in technology boiled down to about 50 Stickies. :-)
Gene95

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:45 pm
For a one time project,
User backups
To perform a one-off backup of all Stickies data, use the Backup button on the App tab in Settings. Then select the file into which you'd like to take a backup - any data already in that file will be overwritten.   More in the help files.

More in the help file.  If you save the backup to your desktop you can copy that folder to a usb and move it to your home computer.  Each stickie will be a separate .RTF file named similar to "B33B4430A6014D7 Router.rtf" You can open and save each in a .txt format with the appropriate name and do as you need to with them.
snissen

Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:02 pm
My thanks to those who posted ideas. 

It took about 2 hours to copy and paste about 80 Stickies into a OneNote notebook.

Too bad I didn't have a football (soccer) match to watch while I was keeping my fingers busy.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:00 pm
Ach I come along too late after you've done the work with my suggestion :/

If anyone else wants to do this, I'd suggest you take that one-off backup as egpor95 suggested, and then use SSIT (from the web site) to open and display the contents.  That's the least amount of work you can do to have a stand-alone copy of that information.

One drawback to this suggestion is that the data won't be searchable, but depending on how organised your notes are, that might not be an issue.

It's an interesting point though, when I retire, how many notes will I take with me?  Will I really need all those Microsoft 365 PowerShell commands I'm collecting at the moment?  I'm not sure that I will...

Tom
Gene95

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:34 pm
Sounded like a great tool so I downloaded it and got the message "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable  download installed OK but still received the same message.  I thought perhaps that Redistributable was too old so I located Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable 64 bit.  Still same problem.

Running Windows 10, 64bit, [Version 10.0.18363.959] all updates installed.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Gene
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:49 pm
Hmm, seems a number of people have run into this problem, and so I'll pop my idea into this post as well - can you try this file instead please:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=16771

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum