Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dracarnion

Windows recovery - can't recover data Empty Windows recovery - can't recover data

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:09 am
Recently I couldn't boot my machine so I ran a windows recovery from USB.  I thought I had backed up my files, but alas I had not and pretty sure I did not get my stickies data.  I was running version 10.  I have some files but I'm unable to get them to come up or restore the database correctly. 

It looks like the windows recovery bootable was supposed to back up my user data and reinstall windows but you have to reinstall software.  So I copied over what I had in the folder and reinstalled stickies.  Dropping the files back in the directory doesn't seem to work

I've been working on it for a few hours as I had a lot of work-related notes in there.  Any suggestions for recovery?  I tried SSIT but cannot get it to open a .db file without crashing

The program ssit10.exe version 10.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 3210
 Start Time: 01d6800d32b348c4
 Termination Time: 6
 Application Path: C:\Users\Jesse\Documents\ssit10\ssit10.exe
 Report Id: b005b102-fa2c-4125-9d3f-c15460ff1ad6
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:
 Hang type: Unknown

Windows recovery - can't recover data Empty Re: Windows recovery - can't recover data

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:57 am
Ssit10 does not seem to work it has been mentioned on the forum before more no solutions are yet given.

If you have the old stickies.db , you have all data secured . You can for a quick try copying the database and stickies.exe to an empty dir or usb and start the exe ( you need to exit the " normal " stickies first )

See instructions here :
https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00002

A problem mentioned on the forum is copying the store.db to the wrong dir and  stickies starting with an empty one ( if it does not find a db it creates a new empty one ........)

You can also open the store.db ( if all else fails )  it is used here for a changing stickies dimensions .

See the post here:
https://zhornsoftware.forumotion.com/t316-upgrade-7-to-10-now-stickies-are-huge

Best regards
Dracarnion

Windows recovery - can't recover data Empty Re: Windows recovery - can't recover data

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:17 pm
Thanks - it looks like all the DB files I have are years old and I can't find my recent data. I have tried your method but I don't see any of the stickies restored.  Just a few that I've recently created.  I've looked in C:\Users\Me\Documents\Stickies, C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Stickies.  I had a lot of stored stickies that I had referenced and a number of stickies on the desktop I need to find a way to recover.  Crying or Very sad
Dracarnion

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:28 pm
I did find some 2020 files after all in C:\Windows.old.  However, I have a series of files and not just the .db:
store.mdb
stickies.db
stickies.ini
stickies.bak
stickies.bye
RTF folder
Images folder

Most of my data seems to be here but I can't get stickies to pick it up if I drop the .db in a folder by itself with the .exe

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 pm
Do you not have a backup dir in    C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Stickies\backup  ? It is normaly by default created .Most  of the files shown are from an older version but you can recreate a stickies.db from store.mdb is you execute mdb2db.exe that is installed with version 10 .

https://download.sqlitebrowser.org/SQLiteDatabaseBrowserPortable_3.11.2_English.paf.exe

You can open your stickies.db in this this free database browser to see what is really in there ( or not ... ) , you can find the structure in the helpfile of version 10 if needed.

Best of luck  Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:27 pm
If you have just the exe and the db file in a folder by themselves, and then run that instance of the exe, it will find and use that database file.

You can check that's what's happening by opening the About dialog, and checking the Data path.

The one thing which might make this not true is if there's a registry setting locking Stickies to a specific path.

See here: https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00091 for checking and resetting that.

Tom
Dracarnion

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:17 am
Good news.  I was able to recover my stored stickies using the method of running the registry script and copying the files over.  Now I am missing my Desktop stickies.  I have some automatic backups I'm copying files over from, but it seems to just be the stored stickies.  Thanks for your help.
Dracarnion

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:02 am
@Sooyke - I have backups.  It seems but not .db, so I can't restore them to version 10.  When I try to run mdb2db.exe seems to always through the following error:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. 

Here's what's in the event log:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Stickies\mdb2db.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:10 am
Tom Revell provided a solution for using ssit10 just for your info . In earlier versions desktop stickies are in stickies.ini you can use the older ssit.exe to look into the file:

https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/tools/ssit.zip

The side by side error have its solution here in the knowledge base of stickies :

https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00085
Dracarnion

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:35 pm
I am back in action!  Thank you both very much for your help!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum