Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Denver714

Recover stickies? Empty Recover stickies?

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:15 pm
Hello,

I have the latest version of stickies and running windows 10. There are times when my PC hangs up and will not respond at all even with cnt/alt/del to bring up the task to end it. I don't have any viruses as I have good software and scan a lot. The problem is I have to power off my PC about once a week. When it loads stickies back up, it says there has been a power issue or something like that and it makes me manually restore my stickies one by one. It has my current stickies and older stickies that I closed a while ago. This takes me around 10 minutes to do.

Does anyone have any solutions for me other than get a new PC Etc. ????
Jane Doe

Recover stickies? Empty Re: Recover stickies?

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:33 am
Sorry to hear about that, which is not normal. I shut down my computer all the time, but I'm not asked to manually restore each stickie after restarting. The reason you're experiencing that is beyond me. Have you tried exiting Stickies and restarting it manually?

If starting Stickies manually does not solve your problem, I may have a solution that will work for you. 

Before you shut down your system, right-click the Stickies tray icon and choose "About Stickies ..." at the bottom of the menu. The "About Stickies" dialogue will open. Click the path [...] button for the data file which should be something like C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\stickies\. When the data file opens, copy every item and save them to a folder. After you restart your computer, locate your Stickies data file and replace the contents with all of the items you saved. After that, manually start up Stickies. That should work, and it will save you about 9 minutes.

Jane Doe
SPOOK
SPOOK

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:58 pm
Run Stickies as a 'Portable App', you will never have any problems.

Last edited by SPOOK on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
SPOOK
SPOOK

Recover stickies? Empty STICKIES - PORTABLE (STAND ALONE) INSTRUCTIONS

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:32 pm
zhorn INSTRUCTIONS:   http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00002

Recommend you copy all files in "c:\program files (x86)\stickies" Folder, there may be some "Log", etc. extras.

Don't forget to uninstall/delete "c:\program files (x86)\stickies" after verify new set up works. And might as well move the "Skins" DIR to your new location.

(I also removed: 'C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\stickies\'.)

Also you will need to re-assign the 'Right-Click Back-up Folder'. 

You can create a "Short-Cut" to the "Stickies.exe" and Copy the "Short-Cut" to the "Start" folder if you like Stickies to start from Boot.

--------------------------------------------
RED = REV 07-31-2018

Last edited by SPOOK on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 am; edited 10 times in total

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:24 pm
I also have problems with win10 hanging once a week and corrupted files (not stickies ) after restart , even a win10 reinstall did not help. 
Googling it i found a suggestion that worked for me to prevent the file corruption but not the "hanging" it was to turn off  Fast Restart" the option is on by default you can turn it off in control panel  / power & sleep / Additional power settings  /choose what power buttons do you will find some tickboxes there.

I have win10 running on a ssd so the impact is only 10 seconds but shutting down is now immediate instead of waiting up to 15 seconds.( if you are in a hurry when leaving  that matters  Smile   )
SPOOK
SPOOK

Recover stickies? Empty STICKIES - PORTABLE (STAND ALONE) INSTRUCTIONS - OPTIONS NOTES

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:53 am
Note 1: Recommend you rename the "Stickies.exe' to something else, i,e, "Stickies Personal.exe". ) If you have loaded any other "zhornsoftware"-Software they will suck the word "Stickies" into the Windows Registry and spatter it throughout.) 

You can create a "Short-Cut" to the "Stickies Personal.exe" and Copy the "Short-Cut" to the "Start" folder if you like Stickies to start from Boot.

Note 2: You can also just Copy all the newly created Stickies Portable (Stand Alone) folders to a new DIR, rename the new "Stickies Personal.exe" to something else  i,e, "Stickies Business.exe" then you can run a unlimited number of different Stickies (Stand Alone) sessions by just copying the Stickies Portable (Stand Alone) folders and renaming the .exe, (Executable). (You can Close/Delete the duplicated Stickies/Stacks or remove the .sti, .rtf and Images to clean-up the new Stickies Portable (Stand Alone)).

You will need to assign a different 'Right-Click Back-up Folder' for each new Stickies Portable (Stand Alone). 

Utilize 'Send to file', 'Copy to file' and 'Import from file' when desired.

(Don't forget to Exit the Current Stickies (Stand Alone) Session before loading another different Stickies (Stand Alone) Session. (You can't hurt it, Does not do anything if you don't)

Note 3: Does not need to be a USB (etc) Drive, you can install on a regular HHD OR MMC. "(or anything else you prefer)"

(I recommend MMC - SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB, Class 10 90MB/s SDHC Card, ≈$36 E-BAY.) (R/W fast as HHD, plus you can store/source all your data files, and back-up all on your HHD, and remove and install painlessly in any other PC/Laptop.)
------------------------------------------------------------
romaxIII

Recover stickies? Empty can't recover notes upon new installation

Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:17 am
I backed up Stickies so that I could recover the notes on a new computer.  This is how stickies backed up, no .bak file.  I  can't get stickies to run on windows 11.  Is this how a back up file is supposed to look?

"E:\STICKIES\2022\rtf"
"E:\STICKIES\2022\friends.ini"
"E:\STICKIES\2022\options.ini"
"E:\STICKIES\2022\stickies.ini"
"E:\STICKIES\2022\store.ldb"
"E:\STICKIES\2022\store.mdb"
"E:\STICKIES\2022\images"

Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:08 am
Those are files for a v9 stickies version . Did you install the latest dowload v10 on your new pc ?

You can convert v9 backup to v10 compatible file ( v10 only uses one file to store data/settings stickies.db ) and then overwrite the old stickies.db after exiting stickies :

https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00010

Windows10/11 seems to missing some libraries and will give an error when upgrading , you can install the microsoft update if needed :

https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00085
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum