Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Fiona

Stickies Alarm Behavior Not Abiding Settings (Not Jiggling or Flashing) Empty Stickies Alarm Behavior Not Abiding Settings (Not Jiggling or Flashing)

Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:33 pm
My husband (Windows 10 PC) and I (Windows 11 PC) both have the latest version of Stickies installed and -- to the best of my checking -- with identical settings for everything for this application, even the skin file it uses. However, his alarms do not abide by their "jiggle" and "flash borders" settings (mine do and always have, across many migrations and years). 

His alarms are indeed correctly popping up (and other options like "on top on wake" are functioning correctly), but no flashing or jiggling is happening despite settings, which unfortunately makes them much easier to overlook. This problem has persisted for at least a year (during which time I migrated his Stickies files to his current computer and his version of Stickies has spanned at least the last 3 updates versions of Stickies 10). The application seems to be functioning properly for him in all other regards.

I've tried a few things (updated Stickies to latest version 10.1d, exited/ restarted Stickies, rebooted the computer) to no avail. Any ideas out there?

Thanks!
guest_today

Stickies Alarm Behavior Not Abiding Settings (Not Jiggling or Flashing) Empty Re: Stickies Alarm Behavior Not Abiding Settings (Not Jiggling or Flashing)

Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:09 am
Some time ago there was a post with a similar problem that a ( different ) option was not working .The solution if i remember correctly was to unmark the options , stop/restart stickies and mark the options again .

In stickies v10 all info is written in one database file stickies.db . I guess rewriting these parameters again by unmark/mark them could be a possible solution .
Fiona

Stickies Alarm Behavior Not Abiding Settings (Not Jiggling or Flashing) Empty Re: Stickies Alarm Behavior Not Abiding Settings (Not Jiggling or Flashing)

Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:32 am
Thanks for the idea, Guest_Today.

I've now tried that, too -- no success. (I un-selected and re-selected those settings before and after -- and between -- having restarted Stickies and also rebooting computer). I also did this and introduced combos of other variables like "play sound" under Defaults When Waking as well as under Sounding Alarms and found they, too, are being ignored.
guest_today

Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:02 pm
Stickies only needs two files , stickies.exe and stickies.db . You can copy the defect?? files to an usb and try it on your pc .
Just exit your stickies and double click the stickies.exe on the usb and verify it the problem still exists . This would show if it is a PC windows problem or a stickies problem.

You could also if you have the stickies.db copy , just exit the stickies on the problem pc and delete its stickies.db , after restarting stickies it will create a new "empty" stickies.db . If you can get it to work with the alarm settings you are sure it is a stickies.db problem but of course this is not a solution but it will point its finger to the culprit " stickies.db " !...

There is a tool to extract the stickies from the database to the new one , but if you have a lot of stickies it will be some work to do ...

You can contact the developer Tom Revell      https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/contact.html   or wait until he checks the forum .
Fiona

Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:50 pm
Tom Revell has been an amazing resource in the past, I will definitely reach out to him if it comes to it. 

Thanks for your ideas, Guest_Today. I'm too reliant on my own computer's Stickies system remaining intact to test his on my computer, but your idea (temporarily removing his Stickies db file to test a fresh generic Stickies database for proper function on that computer) is a great one and seems pretty low-risk! I will try that.

... presuming it indeed turns out to be an issue with his historic Stickies db file, what repair options are there? (My husband tells me this issue preceded his current pc, so his database being faulty seems a good possibility. We have migrated our respective stickies files across many computers, Windows versions, and Stickies versions over many years).

This "tool to extract the stickies from the database to a the new one" you mention sounds good but as heavy users, his db files is almost 50MB. I've looked around the Zhorn website, where might I find this tool?
guest_today

Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:23 pm
The tool is called ssit you can find it here:
https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/tools.html

There are two versions one is for v10 .

In the past Tom Revell has proposed to try to repair a db file for a user but is reluctant because of the confidentiality of the data but you can contact him maybe there is a simple way of just restoring the bits about the parameters , the database is a common used format that has its scripting language for commandline changes .

If you have a backup of stickies.db nothing can go wrong you can always replace the old one back .

If you encounter an error using the tool you will need to install an update to windows visual basic libraries because microsoft left them out but some programs installed them already so it depends.

You find a link to the update here :
https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00093

Have a nice weekend
Fiona

Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:39 pm
Thanks for the useful info! It'll be a few days before I'll have a chance to try it. Many thanks!
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:39 pm
There are ways to transfer a data file to me but clearing data - https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00094 will show you how.

However, I think the "try it on another machine" test is a good one.  It's pretty safe to do, there's just one file you need to be careful with named stickies.db.  Take a copy/rename it, and then you can "mess around" to your heart's content.  When you're done, quit Stickies, put the original file back in place and everything will be back to normal when you run the app.

Tom
Fiona

Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:58 pm
Thanks, Tom!

I haven't had a chance to try it yet (swamped with work) but will do.

All the best to you.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum