Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
bvsoft

Stickies on Kubuntu 22.04 - window "Settings" Empty Stickies on Kubuntu 22.04 - window "Settings"

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 pm
Hi,

I installed Stickies in Kubuntu 22.04 from the file stickies_setup_10_1.exe, then replaced the clean stickies.db with my working base, and was surprised to find that almost everything works under Wine (I see all the notes, I see with the selected skin)! One small problem: the "Settings" window does not open. Can anyone guess what the problem is and is there any way I can fix it myself?

Thanks
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Stickies on Kubuntu 22.04 - window "Settings" Empty Re: Stickies on Kubuntu 22.04 - window "Settings"

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:26 pm
The Settings window is pretty unique, so there are a number of reasons that might happen.  Not having a VM like that here, perhaps I could compile a debug version of Stickies and you could try that?

Alternatively, if you can give me quick instructions on how to get to where you are (I'm OK with VMs, installing a Linux distro, and running commands) I'll pop something up here and see what I can see?

Tom
bvsoft

Stickies on Kubuntu 22.04 - window "Settings" Empty Re: Stickies on Kubuntu 22.04 - window "Settings"

Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:31 pm
I can of course try running your debug version, and if that doesn't help us, then I can give you some remote access. I also install a clean distribution of Kubuntu 22.04 in VirtualBox, add wine and the latest Stickies from site, and the error happened again. I can somehow send you a virtual machine file (14GB in a .vdi file and 5GB in a 7z archive), everything is ready to run stickies.

Best regards
Vladimir
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:31 pm
I figured it was quicker for me to build a Kubuntu VM here - which I've done now.

Try this build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeq4t47k3dkiuuk/stickiesKubuntu.zip?dl=0

The call (which only the Settings dialog uses) is this:

Code:
SetWindowLong(m_hWnd, GWL_EXSTYLE, GetWindowLong(m_hWnd, GWL_EXSTYLE) | WS_EX_LAYERED)

Commenting that line out means the Settings dialog appears, but it does get a bit confused as it goes.  The call sets the window as layered, and a quick Google shows that Wine supports layered windows, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Anyway, the above build at least now displays the Settings dialog for me - does it for you?

Tom
bvsoft

Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:15 am
Stickies on Kubuntu 22.04 - window "Settings" Settin10
bvsoft

Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:16 am
Yes, it works! small artefacts, but I see settings window,
bvsoft

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:19 am
I should note that I couldn't find anything similar to Stickies in Linux due to the totality of its capabilities Smile Excellent work, congratulations! However, working under wine is, after all, inconvenient (slow, small glitches and incomprehensible artifacts), so we will wait for you to develop a Linux version, and then Stickies will conquer all of Linux! Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum