Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
GS70

Stickies In Data Directory But Not Showing In App Empty Stickies In Data Directory But Not Showing In App

Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:58 am
When I turned my computer on this morning, I got a "database already exists" message. I followed the instructions in the KB to save the specific files in a separate directory and restart Stickies. I did that. Didn't help. I uninstalled and reinstalled 9.0b. Didn't help. I uninstalled and installed 10.1b. Didn't help. I uninstalled and reinstalled 9.0b again. Still didn't help. So I reinstalled 10.1b again. Now I've messed with it so much, I've lost track of what I did when.  Stickies In Data Directory But Not Showing In App 1f615

Basically, though, at the beginning of the process, I moved the stickies.ini, options.ini, store.mdb, images folder, and rtf folder into a new folder on my desktop before doing anything else.

After each shut down or install, I copied the files back into the directory. When I open the directory, I can see my Stickies in the rtf folder. But when I open "Manage Stickies," there's nothing sleeping, recurring, stored, etc. It's all empty.

In the backups folder, I can see seven folders from before today. The .db is from this morning when I started messing with it.

I wanted to restore a backup, but in the KB, it says if I upgraded to 10.1b, I have to run mdb2db.exe first, but I don't see that anywhere on my computer.

Am I missing a step somewhere, or just out of luck? I have Windows 11.

Thanks for your help! I love this app and regularly tell people they should get it.
guest_today

Stickies In Data Directory But Not Showing In App Empty Re: Stickies In Data Directory But Not Showing In App

Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:10 am
"  In the backups folder, I can see seven folders from before today. The .db is from this morning when I started messing with it."

If you have a backup of V9 files in your backup folder ( the ones created by stickies ) and if you are running V9 you could use the " restore " option from the traymenu and choose the oldest backup file from the stickies backup folder .

I would also backup the stickies backup folder because by default every day one backup is overwritten with a new one ( default is keep 7 days )

If you have a running V9 , V10 will auto update ( it installs the mdb2db.exe ) but it can give an error because of missing libraries in win11 you can find the microsoft update   here :

w w w .zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00085
GS70

Stickies In Data Directory But Not Showing In App Empty Re: Stickies In Data Directory But Not Showing In App

Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:22 pm
Thanks for responding! With version 9, when I try to open the Stickies app, the message "database already exists" pops up, and then the app closes, which prevents me from being able to click on the restore option.
guest_today

Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:54 am
You can delete the store.mdb and start stickies , it will create a new empty one so you can use the restore option .

Make sure you have a backup of  stickies\backup directory , stickies will autobackup and overwrite the oldest entry .Maybe you will need this one ....

( If you reinstall stickies it does not remove datafiles so if there is a problem in one of those reinstalling does not help unless you delete these files first .)
GS70

Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:09 pm
Deleting the store.mdb worked. Thank you so much for your help!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum