Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DG

Stickies RCRR_FIX is incorrectly modifying wake times on app start Empty Stickies RCRR_FIX is incorrectly modifying wake times on app start

Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:31 pm
There seems to be a bug in the way Start Time on Recurring stickies is being handled.

If I create a Recurring sticky set to wake e.g. every Wednesday, then Edit it and set the Start Time to a future date, so that one or more Wednesdays are skipped before the next wake, when I close the Stickies app and restart it, my changes are lost.

In the Activity Log after making 5 such edits, I see this - the [RCRR_FIX] operations are clearly reverting my edits to the Recurring stickies, resetting them to wake on the very next Wednesday (or whatever scheduled wake time it is), not skipping one or more Wednesdays as my edits stipulate:

2022-09-16 12:01:02 [GENERAL ] Stickies closed. Ran for 51 seconds (User Exit)
2022-09-16 12:03:50 [GENERAL ] Most recent backup is: <backup_location>\202209161149.db
2022-09-16 12:03:50 [THREAD  ] ...finished filling content cache
2022-09-16 12:03:50 [RCRR_FIX] Changed note 380 next wake from 1663664340 to 1663577940
2022-09-16 12:03:50 [RCRR_FIX] Changed note 401 next wake from 1664525700 to 1663920900
2022-09-16 12:03:50 [RCRR_FIX] Changed note 404 next wake from 1670798040 to 1663536840
2022-09-16 12:03:50 [RCRR_FIX] Changed note 448 next wake from 1664909820 to 1663700220
2022-09-16 12:03:50 [RCRR_FIX] Changed note 450 next wake from 1664996220 to 1663786620
2022-09-16 12:03:50 [GENERAL ] Started Stickies: 'Stickies v10.1b'

Even making my desired edits then making/restoring a manual db backup on startup gets reverted by these background [RCRR_FIX] operations, so there is no workaround for this incorrect behaviour.

Can anything be done about this? Is there a workaround that can stop these unwanted [RCRR_FIX] operations from happening? What data is the [RCRR_FIX] using as its reference point, when I am restoring a backup that contains my edits?

As it is, the application is unusable for my purposes, as I need to regularly edit Recurring stickies to skip a week or two, and this is impossible.
DG

Stickies RCRR_FIX is incorrectly modifying wake times on app start Empty Re: Stickies RCRR_FIX is incorrectly modifying wake times on app start

Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:04 am
Any word on this?

It's clearly a bug in the Recurring stickies functionality - changing the Start Time simply does not work, and there is no workaround.

Changes get reverted every time via these spurious [RCRR_FIX] operations - whatever they are supposed to be fixing, they are actually breaking Start Time functionality on Recurring stickies.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Stickies RCRR_FIX is incorrectly modifying wake times on app start Empty Re: Stickies RCRR_FIX is incorrectly modifying wake times on app start

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:33 pm
Thanks for this bug report - you've saved me some time by pretty much getting as far as you could.  That's ironic that you've been so helpful, as it's my fault that you've been inconvenienced in the first place.

Try this file: https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/stickies101c1.zip

The reason behind the fix code which is breaking what you're trying to do is that when daylight savings time starts or ends, the next wake time of a note needs to be recalculated.  The app stores when those notes are next due to wake up as an absolute point in time, but that shifts when daylight savings changes.

However, as Stickies doesn't store the time you want recurring notes to start (and instead only calculates it once when the note is first slept), the "fix" doesn't have enough information to accurately calculate the new "next wake" time, and assumes it's "from now".

The above code will also store the "first wake" time you choose, meaning that when the "fix" happens, it can be accurate.  Unfortunately, I've already discarded the "start" point in time, this can only work for notes set to recur using the above code - you'll need to set the recurrences again.

I've tested it here and I think it's OK - could you give it a try please and let me know whether you see the same thing?  With this build, set a note to recur, and to start recurring after a point in the future.  Then restart the app, and you should see that the [RCRR_FIX] entry doesn't appear, and the next wake time is still as you set it?

Again, sorry for the mistake and taking your time having to help fix it for me :/

Tom
DG

Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:29 pm
Sorry for the delay, I had dropped down to version 10.0d to workaround the problem.

I've tried this new exe now on a separate computer and it seems to be working properly - I restored my 10.0d DB backup, saw that the [RCRR_FIX] kicked in for my existing notes (as expected - because the old DB doesn't store the "first wake time"), manually reapplied my start time offsets, and after restarting the app, they are still there, and no new [RCRR_FIX] entries appear in the logs.

Many thanks!
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:35 pm
Great, thanks for letting me know.  I've uploaded a new version now which includes the bug fixes - which is identical to what you downloaded to test so there's no rush for you to change the exe you're using now.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks again for the detailed feedback.

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum