Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ecokumm

Database size increased massively Empty Database size increased massively

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:36 pm
I have 24 stickies, all of them text with nothing special about them, but somehow the database size has swollen up from ~1.5MB to over 70MB overnight. Is there any way to know which sticky (if any) is the culprit?

I deleted everything in the trashcan but the database size remains the same.
guest__user1

Database size increased massively Empty Re: Database size increased massively

Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:11 am
Deleting entries does not change the size of the database , to compact the database use the hotkey

shift+control+c  in the " Manage notes " window .
ecokumm

Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:25 pm
I'm pressing shift+control+c in the Manage notes window but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
What's that shortcut for? Is there any other way to run it?
guest__user1

Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:58 pm
h t t p s://zhornsoftware.forumotion.com/t140-cleanup-store-mdb-database   ( added spaces because forum refused to direct linking )

This is the topic about compacting database , it was asked for v9 but i tried it in v10 and it works there to .

If you delete some stickies you will see the size of stickies.db does not change ( even after restart ) but using the hotkey it will clean up and the size will be smaller .

I do not know a way to see the size of a sticky , you could save them ( from within Manage notes ) to rtf files and there you have the real " file size " . Stickies has an autobackup by default ( i just presume you have v10 ... ) you can use the restore to go back to an older version , you can see the files in the backup directory with their size . You will only miss the stickies that are newer but you can save them before restore as sti or rtf and add them again .
ecokumm

Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:36 pm
No dice with that shortcut. In the end I made a mashup of newer stickies on an older backup as you just suggested, and we're back to a normal size.
Thanks for everything.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:32 pm
That sounds strange - I'd have performed troubleshooting by using DB Browser, the excellent SQLITE admin tool.  I suspect there's a way to see the size of records in a table with it - or just checking manually.  If you've still got the over-large file, we could give it a go?

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum