Go down
View user profile

Error: Database already exists

on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:39 pm
Bear with me, I have already used "KB00088 - Database already exists"...

I've been using stickies on Dropbox as a portable app for a while and got this error this morning and found the KB and tried it but it didn't work. I've been wanting to move off of portable and Dropbox anyway, so I downloaded and installed the latest version. I used the built in 'Move Data Location' option first with the blank database to get it under Documents. Then, to play it safe, I used Restore to restore one of the recent backups from the Dropbox location. I still got the "Database Already Exists" message with the 2 most recent backup restores (completely wiping the data folder). Deleted the registry keys to go back to defaults at %appdata% blanking the folder so a new database would build again. Ran restore again with no better results and ran through every backup all the way back to Friday (wiping data folder between each one to let it build a blank because stickies closes when this error is encountered) but I still get this error.

Thanks!! Love the software very much! I've been using for many years.
View user profile

Re: Error: Database already exists

on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am
You did all the things that logic would suggest Smile

So here are some out of the box thinking...sometimes the error message (certainly if it is a windows generated one) does not reflect the "real" problem.

- i would manually copy the backup store.mdb from dropbox to "downloads" and from there to stickies data directory to overwrite the default one ( if you clean reinstalled )
- i would scan my system for lingering sticky files  ( i use "everything"  from https://www.voidtools.com/  it is free ,save and fast )
- i would try the dropbox backup files on another PC ( i have 2 systems ...) or create a portable on a USB just to try.
- if on a 64bit i would check the " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<user>\zhorn " to see if some mirror entry is placed there ( unlikely but it happened with another app )

This is what i would try if i am getting desperate of other ideas    Sad
View user profile

on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm
Fixed. Files were marked read only.  Rolling Eyes
View user profile

on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:25 pm
Nice find , hope it will be added to the KB  Smile

Greetings ,
Sponsored content