Go down
View user profile

Database Already Exists error on starting stickies Empty Database Already Exists error on starting stickies

on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:33 am
Hi,
Thought I may describe my experience with the error message "Database already exists" that was popping up every time stickies tried to start at Windows 10 startup (which is the way I have set it up). I had the problem occur for a few days before I sat down to try and fix it...

The Zhorn Knowledgebase has an item about this, and I'll copy it in here:
=======================
To fix the problem do the following:

• Close Stickies
  • Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\stickies
  • Move the following items into a temporary directory:

• stickies.ini
    • options.ini
    • store.mdb
    • rtf (directory)
    • images (directory)

• Restart Stickies (at this point you'll see no data in the app - but don't worry, it's contained in the files above)
  • Make a note of the Data directory, shown at the bottom of the About dialog
  • Close Stickies
  • Move the files and folders you gathered above to the Data directory, overwriting what's there (those are the empty data files)
  • When you restart Stickies, you'll no longer get the error

===========================

So. This did not work for me.
(Also, this must be an old entry, the data folder is more likely to now be in ..... Users\[your profile]\AppData\Roaming\stickies )

Tried a few different approaches and what worked for me was:
- ... (do all the stuff to this point)....
- bring the old (populated) data files back in
- delete store.mdb and store.ldb
- restart Stickies.
- Answer any cleanup error messages you get (by deleting invalid files or whatever)
- Do "Restore..." from the Tray icon context menu

Your data should all be back.

Note: the ldb and mdb extensions are related to MS database functions, and ldb is related to database locking, so it may have worked with just deleting store.ldb - but I did both and it worked, so that's my path...

Would be remiss of me not to heap some praise on this little utility that has been a trusty sidekick on my system at work and play for what feels like a zillion years now. And Tom, the simple backup strategy of multiple time-phased copies is one of the most elegantly simple and effective systems I've come across. It has survived many a slash & burn operation on my PCs over the time, accidental and intentional.
BIG applause.

Cheers
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum