Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
gonen52

How to add/delete a Stickies note from command line  Empty How to add/delete a Stickies note from command line

Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:30 am
Hi
brand new here

is there a simple way to add a Stickies text note from command line (or VBA)
get its ID
and later be able to delete that specific note by the ID ? 

THANK YOU
gonen52

How to add/delete a Stickies note from command line  Empty Re: How to add/delete a Stickies note from command line

Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:59 am
i tried 

apicmd.exe  do new sticky aaaaaaaa

it works fine - but the ID of the note is not echoed back. instead I get - "ERR: message not processed"

any idea?
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

How to add/delete a Stickies note from command line  Empty Re: How to add/delete a Stickies note from command line

Thu May 05, 2022 8:47 pm
For many years I wasn't processing the messages between Stickies and apps using the API correctly - everything was working, but I wasn't returning the correct value according to the documentation.  The Windows documentation that is.

So I fixed it... and I think that's what you're running into here.  Are both Stickies and apicmd at the most recent version?

The way that message passing works in Windows (WM_COPYDATA) means that it's windows which communicate.  To be able to reply with the ID of the new note, Stickies needs a window to target, and as apicmd.exe is a command line app, there's nowhere for the reply and ID to go.

For that you'd need to use some code which creates a window to talk to Stickies, perhaps AHK might be something to look at?

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum