Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
tweybrew
tweybrew

Default font size Empty Default font size

Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:16 pm
In general, how do I set appearance defaults? Specifically, how do I select default font size? Thanks for any comments.
LaurentG

Default font size Empty Re: Default font size

Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:13 am
In settins menu, "Appearance" tab
tweybrew
tweybrew

Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:37 pm
Thanks for your comment, LaurentG. I have found the way to set the font size I want for default, the problem I'm having is getting Stickies to SAVE this setting. As it is now, when I come out of Settings, Stickies reverts to its defaults, not the ones I have selected. So far I haven't found the way to preserve my changes. 
LaurentG

Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:59 am
Which version of Stickies do you run ?

If it is not the latest one, first step is to upgrade to latest rev (10.1d)

With rev 10, all data of Stickies are stored in a unique database, either program options (like these appearance default) and also stickies themselves.
So if parameters are not saved, this "could" say that database update failed... but if your stickies are saved, it means that database is not read/only...

Nevertheless, you should check where is the database (available in "about" menu), and verify it is udated (last update date-time changed) when you modify such option.
Or, if this database is in a protected area making it not updateable, move it elsewhere.
Persnnally, my database is somewhere under "My documents"
tweybrew
tweybrew

Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:34 pm
Hi, LaurentG. Your tip about the update was spot on. My program was 2 versions behind. I didn't see an option in Settings to do an update, so I just downloaded from the website and updated manually. I found the database folder but I am unsure how to open it as I get a warning window when I double-click on it. Do I need some special to see "last update-time changed" entry? And how do I know if the file is protected? If it is and I relocate it, how do I modify Stickies to edit the location? As you can tell, I'm not a geek... sorry to be so needy. Thanks for hanging with me.
LaurentG

Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:11 pm
Last update date time : no need to open the file, it's the date time displayed in Windows explorer.
In case your parameters do not display this date in Win Explorer for this directory, change displayed columns right clicking on the column title and choose the 'Update on" (or similar name, I don't know the exact name in english).

But the first thing to do to check if update is possible : when you create a new sticky note, then close Stickies program, then restart it, is the new sticky note there ? If yes, clearly it means that Stckies has been able to update the database. And in such case, I guess that changing default font size in settings is also presistent when you close app then restart it, isn't it ?
tweybrew
tweybrew

Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:56 pm
I did as you suggested and checked to see if the db file date changed when I created a new note... it did. When I reopened the program, the new note reappeared, as expected, but with the old font values - not the new one I had just set.    Default font size 1f636  Default font size 1f615
LaurentG

Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:39 am
...but with the old font values - not the new one I had just set...

What did you do exactly ?

Did you change the font size of this particular note, or did you change the default font in settings screen ?

Because on my own, I just did the three tests
- on one side, I changed the font size, and other parameters, of an existing note
- on the other side I changed the "default" font in settings / appareance
- and lastly I created a new note (created wih these new font settings jus set as "default")

Then I closed the app, and restarted it : and all my changes were still there :
- the note I changed the font still were with its new font and other updated parameters
- "default" font were still as defined, both in settings screen, and still applied to any new note I may create
- and the note created at the previous step was still with the font it was nitially created with...

So I definitely cannot understand what happens with you....
guest_today

Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:50 pm
Default font size 9910

The only reason i can see  that is left , if the style is not set to default when changing the values .
LaurentG

Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:43 pm
Yes, you're right, it could be the reason, but I didn't even imagine that, since @tweybrew told us he was changing default font size...

We'll see what he will answer !
tweybrew
tweybrew

Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:40 pm
Thanks, friends for your added comments. Yes, when I made the font size change I was sure to be working with the DEFAULT setting screen. I made the change, clicked on OK,  then X'd out of the Settings window. Then I created a new note which appeared in the old font size.

Maybe the only move left untried is to uninstall/reinstall.
tweybrew
tweybrew

Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:29 am
SPECIAL NOTE ... In reference to my postings regarding setting and saving Default preferences, and setting new note default color to "random," I have discovered quite by accident, that these two settings conflict with each other. If you set a single color as the default new note color, then Stickies works fine. If you choose to set a random color as default, however, any font size you choose as default will not be saved by Stickies... it will default to 10. 

Hope this information is useful to others.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum