Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Wizardling
Wizardling

Stickies freezes on launch after Win10's new update. Empty Stickies freezes on launch after Win10's new update.

Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:53 pm
Today I updated to:

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎22/‎06/‎2020
OS build    19043.1586
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Then rebooted. Stickies launched itself after I logged in, as I have it set to. Then as soon as I tried to interact with it, it became unresponsive and Windows asked me if I wanted to quit it. I did so, then launched it again. This time only the Stickies App icon would appear in the System Icons area at the right of the Taskbar. None of the stickies opened. Also, the Stickies App icon is unresponsive.

I then tried reinstalling Stickies from a new installer download ( https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/stickies_setup_10_1a.exe ), today. Same deal - the icon opens in the right side of the Taskbar, but is unresponsive and none of the stickies I leave open are displayed.

Stickies freezes on launch after Win10's new update. Empty Re: Stickies freezes on launch after Win10's new update.

Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:53 am
I had an update this morning and now it has the same versions as yours but no problem with stickies . Maybe it is just a coincidence and the problem is somewhere else .

You can look in the " Event viewer "  under  " windows administrative tools " for some error .

I would take a copy of stickies.db or rename it for save keeping  and rename/copy one of  the backups who should be there by default in the stickies/backup folder to your stickies folder as stickies.db and try again .
Wizardling
Wizardling

Stickies freezes on launch after Win10's new update. Empty Re: Stickies freezes on launch after Win10's new update.

Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:20 pm
I got it working again. I uninstalled Stickies, then reinstalled (not just installed again over the top). I had to redo the RegEdit path (I keep Stickies data in my OneDrive folder) which vanished when doing that, and restore the Stickies database from a prior version. But that got everything working okay again.

I've no idea what went wrong, but backups to the rescue, eh? :-)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum