Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
japossert
https://japossert.com/

Installation Guide for Friends Empty Installation Guide for Friends

Sat May 14, 2022 6:45 am
Hi all, 

I love the simplicity of stickies and particularly how it gives me the possibility to start writing (with a hotkey) from wherever I am in other programs!

What I would love to set up now is a two-way sync with my second computer. Both have Stickies 10.01a installed. 

I have tried to set them up and made sure that 

- both are logged in to the same WiFi network 

- they have different friend servers

- and have different ports

- they have each other as friends registered (though not recognized)

However even after all of this it does is give me the error response "Could not connect to xyz".

A step by step guide (and support with this particular problem) would be highly appreciated!

Warmly, 

Jakob

PS: For a non-programer and non-system admin, the Help Guide is bit hard to follow (also for email and how to change the default savings location), but I guess I am way too used to just creating accounts and letting the backend be handled by someone else hahaha
tuesday

Installation Guide for Friends Empty Re: Installation Guide for Friends

Tue May 17, 2022 6:13 pm
Installation Guide for Friends 7UKXB2d

If you have a stickies installation on both computers with both default port 52673 and you can send stickies between them it is simple .

You just have to fill in the IP of the other computer you want to sync with and it should work .

So it is one step and done !   Installation Guide for Friends 1f389
tuesday

Tue May 17, 2022 8:29 pm
My bad ..... this will not work with using it on both computers , there is no option to only sync new entries like the manual option in " Friends " , depending on the timing an added friend could be deleted if that computer sync before the other one .

The dialog mentions that it is a central list so new entries can only be made on that computer otherwise it is not reliable.
japossert
https://japossert.com/

Wed May 18, 2022 12:29 pm
I see. Thank you anyways! I see that you wrote as "Guest" I am curious if anyone from the product team sees it as worthwhile to upgrade this functionality Smile)
tuesday

Wed May 18, 2022 4:29 pm
Adding " friends " is not something you do every day , did you try the " Get new friends " in the friends dialog window ? You select a friend from the list ( the one that you want to sync with ) and then use the button " Get new friends ".

If you want auto sync you could write a post in the " Feature request " section of this forum . You are right i am just a guest so no input on the development .

Best regards
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:42 pm
The Friend list is a list of other computers on your network which are using Stickies.  It was created many years back when the company I worked for had 400+ computers using Stickies, and it was a fledgling IM system.  Of course, these days I'm sure they're using Teams just like everyone else.  The Friends list was a way to keep track of computer changes, and new people using the app.

Unfortunately, Stickies doesn't support content sync.  I've had a few cracks at writing that code, but never finished anything useful.  Perhaps OneNote or Evernote might do what you need instead :/

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum