Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
radiocam

Is there a shortcut for Hide/Show All ? Empty Is there a shortcut for Hide/Show All ?

Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:48 am
Stickies is so much part of my workflow (and playflow Wink ) that at any time I have a myriad stickies on my (multiple) monitors.
It would really help for me to have a keyboard shortcut that does the same as the tray menu Hide All/Show All.

I haven't explored whether it is possible to use the API for managing stickies like that (or interfacing with the manager) - I'm hoping someone has done all the pioneering work already.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Cheers

Is there a shortcut for Hide/Show All ? Empty Re: Is there a shortcut for Hide/Show All ?

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:33 am
Over the years there have been many solutions because hide/show was only avaiable as a menu item in the traymenu which is very inconvenient to use.
The latest version of stickies has it as a click on the trayicon so it solved it ( unless you demand a shortcut  Neutral  )

The easiest way is to ask for one in " feature requests " on the forum Idea .

Using a batch file with the commandline apicmd.exe would be a solution except when you want to have a shortcut , the win10 shortcut link only offers a ctrl+alt+"letter" shortcut and it must be free .

API commandline :   https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/api/sample_apicmd.zip

The batch file is easy if you use a shortcut for hide and one for show , having a toggle in a bat file is messy ......

Found a solution on the web involving storing the toggle status in the nfts datastream.

Code:

@echo off
set "$activ="

2> nul (set /P $activ= < "%~nx0:activ") || set "$activ=show"

echo actual [%$activ%]

if /i "%$activ%"=="show" (
apicmd.exe do hideall
echo hide>%~nx0:activ
    ) else (
apicmd.exe do showall
echo show>%~nx0:activ
    )

The way i used to have is using ahk , you can create any shortcut key and it will override an existing one even " most " window stolen keys  !

download and forum   :    https://www.autohotkey.com/

example code for ahk with F2 as global hotkey:

Code:

DetectHiddenWindows on
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%\
F2::
t:=!t
if t
run , apicmd.exe do hideall
else
run , apicmd.exe do showall
return

To change the hotkey :   https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

You can disable the hotkey if needed if some other window is active or exists that needs it .

You can use ahk to eliminate apicmd.exe but you need to maintain a list so it is more lines to code .
radiocam

Is there a shortcut for Hide/Show All ? Empty Re: Is there a shortcut for Hide/Show All ?

Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:28 pm
Ha ha, Sooyke. Highlighting my laziness once again Embarassed

I did explore a bit more, and my current excuse is that I'm still not as much into the Settings move to using native Windows 10 settings as I should be.
While I think I may be a level behind... (my systray does not give me that one-click option for show/hide all which you mentioned), I did discover the excellent Settings page on Keyboard Shortcuts. And of course, there's a show/hide all there.
I'll still probably have some interference from other apps that use a lot of those, but I'm sure I can tweak it (ie. find a key combo) that will do what I want in happy coexistence.

I did think of looking into AHK which is another great utility app, especially for the shortcuts.
But ... at my age I'm finding that when I turn away from something for more than an hour, the memory refresh takes me a while.
And I've been away from AHK for ages.

All good now though. Thanks for the nudge Smile

Cheers

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:48 pm
Settings page on Keyboard Shortcuts  !

I did not even look there ........ nice find , i only looked in the helpfile for keyboard shortcuts Embarassed

The leftclick on the traymenu to hide/show was only introduced in the latest version of stickies v10.1a and you have to set the option in "Settings"

But i am afraid you will have a hard time finding a suitable handy shortcut combination so many are used up by windows . AHK is a lifesaver to regain control over hotkeys !

Have a nice weekend

Is there a shortcut for Hide/Show All ? 323310
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum