Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
LaurentG

How to "rescue" partially Offscreen note ? Empty How to "rescue" partially Offscreen note ?

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:40 am
Hi Tom,

let me describe the issue :
I have a sticky note that is very very long (>250 lines).
Of course, this note uses scroll bars, and everything's well with it.

Except if I (involuntarily) remove scroll bars in the right-clic menu. If I do so, immediately note expands, but when I restore the scroll bars, it does NOT resize it to previous size, and since the bottom of the note is now outside of the screen, it's impossible to resize it.... (nor to move it to make the bottom again "Inscreen")

In rev 9 of Stickies, it was quite easy to fix the issue : Exit stickies, open stickies.ini file, fix the Height parameter of the corresponding note, then restart. In rev 10, it is also feasible, but a lot more complex, since it requires to open the database and update it (t_i field in stickiesproperties table, on line with type=24).

I can imagine 4 (easy from user standpoint) solutions to this issue
1) Be able to resize a sticky from the top (and not only the bottom) (provided the top is still "inscreen"...)
2) Be able to move a sticky picking it from anywhere (and not only from the title)
3) Be able to resize a sticky in a new dialog got from right-clic menu
4) Enhance the "Rescue Offscreen" feature to not only move the stickies that are completely offscreen, but also resize stickies partially "inscreen" to make them 100% "inscreen"

But maybe there is also a currently existing solution that I don't know ?
Your advice, please.

Last edited by LaurentG on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
LaurentG

How to "rescue" partially Offscreen note ? Empty Re: How to "rescue" partially Offscreen note ?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:28 pm
Ooops, I give answer myself, since I have incidentally found it....

Actually, proposal 1(resize from the top) already exist : I didn't see it before, because we have to resize not from the very top of the note, ie. above its title, but from the top of the note itself (strictly speaking), ie. from the limit between note's title and note's content....

Ooooops again : Actually, my problem may have no solution in one case :
If the note is defined as "Stand" (opposite to "Hang"), when it deploys, it is the last line that remains at the same place, and the title bar goes "in the sky" above top of screen. As a result, if we can reduce its size from the bottom.... it is not feasible to move it to go down in the screen, since move can be done only from title...
And if we use "Rescue Offscreen", it's even worth, since the note becomes centered in the screen... ie. top is "in the sky" above the screen, and bottom "underground" below the screen....

Last edited by LaurentG on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
nikkei45

How to "rescue" partially Offscreen note ? Empty [SOLVED / Already exist] How to "rescue" partially Offscreen note ?

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:36 pm
Thank you for posting this problem, now solved. I certainly didn't know that I could resize a stickie from the top, but where the main note meets the header. Much appreciated.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

How to "rescue" partially Offscreen note ? Empty Re: How to "rescue" partially Offscreen note ?

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:04 pm
There are a couple of things which might help in this situation:

o If you click a note, you can then use alt-arrows to move it around screen
o Pressing control-shift-x will let you manually set the size of a note (only helpful if the bottom is off the screen, really)

Tom
nikkei45

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:04 am
Many thanks for that extra information Tom; much appreciated. Love your Stickies program... nothing can beat it Smile
LaurentG

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:34 am
Perfect ! The second option (control-shift-x) is a best !
Thank you Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum