Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SaladGoat

Stickies: Pause function  Empty Stickies: Pause function

Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:02 am
If it exists already, I can't find it.
Otherwise, may I suggest/request the ability to pause Stickies for a set length of time?
I want to play an old-school game that goes full screen in low resolution.
It's very annoying and distracting when I am in the middle of the game and a Sticky pops up!
Sure, I can turn off the program before I start the game, but then I have to remember to re-start it when I am done and ... well, I use Stickies extensively because I can't remember anything! lol So without that to remind me to turn it on, I forget.
But if there were a simple and quick way to pause the program for half an hour, one hour ... any set amount of time, that would be perfect.
I may be the only one who wants this, so I understand if it won't ever be a top priority, but maybe others could chime in here if they would also like this?
Or maybe it's a simple addition that you could just pop in under the hood.
No harm in asking, I always say! Very Happy

Stickies: Pause function  Empty Re: Stickies: Pause function

Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:33 am
Stickies: Pause function  456410

You can create a batch file that would stop/start stickies with a delay , the time is in seconds so this example will restart after one minute .

The bat file has to be in the directory where stickies.exe is or you have to use the fullpath .
You can create a shortcut and set it to run minimized so it is only a button in the taskbar . The commandline for stickies has a -close parameter so i think it is save to shut it down using it ( i tried it ..... )

A more elegant way is to use AHK scripting but then you have to install the ahk interpreter while batch scripting is in windows by default .
SaladGoat

Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:20 am
Ooh, that's a really good idea!
I tested it with 30 seconds and it worked nicely.
At the risk of going too off topic, is there a way to close the batch window once it's done? I tried adding 'exit' as the last line but that did not work. If not, it's not a big deal, but would be cool.
Thanks for this, Sooyke!

Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:45 am
Code:
stickies.exe -close
timeout /t 10
stickies.exe  | taskkill /F /IM cmd.exe

I am not very familiar with bat scripting as i prefer using AHK . It seems if you run an exe it will stay open . Googling the problem i found that the solution is killing cmd.exe but it has a sideeffect of terminating all command windows that are open .

Using AHK it is just using " exitapp " at the end so i wonder why they choose not to have this option with cmd windows.

It works fine but i would not use it in the office ( that is where you play the games .....right Smile  ) because you could terminate some essential command line windows and have a call from IT department to have a chat .....
SaladGoat

Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:04 am
I have no other cmd windows open, so I gave that a go and it worked great. (I suspect it will shut down the game if I'm still playing when time is up, but that's a chance I'll take.)

Would still be great if a pause function could be built in to the program, but this will do just fine until that happens.

Thank you so much!
Mike M
Mike M

Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:42 am
Instead of just stickies.exe, insert the following:

stickies.exe -close
pause
start "" stickies.exe
exit

That's 2 double quotes after "start"
Run this cmd, but don't close the window.
When finished with your game, open this cmd window and press enter.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum