Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Gene95

Turn off Stickies Auto Run Empty Turn off Stickies Auto Run

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:56 pm
I have stickies on a Portable Apps USB Drive.  I do not want it to run unless I manually start it, however I can find no setting to turn off auto run.  Does this functionality exist?
LaurentG

Turn off Stickies Auto Run Empty Re: Turn off Stickies Auto Run

Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:29 am
Just remove the Stickies shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
Gene95

Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:57 pm
I should have been more specific.  I have Stickies running at all times on my PC.  I also have Stickies on a Portable App USB.  I Only plug in the Portable Apps USB into this PC when I am updating the usb apps.  The portable stickies tries to open automatically, causing a conflict.  It gives a warning that Stickies is already running before continuing.  Usually it just doesn't start but on occasion it has.  If it does start I have to hunt down why I can't eject the USB.  A minor annoyance to be sure, however I thought it would be nice to stop it from auto-starting since I do not always use it on the Potable Apps except for the occasional note taking.  If it is not possible it is not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.
LaurentG

Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:02 pm
I don't understand what you call a "Portable App USB" ?
Gene95

Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:52 pm
https://portableapps.com/platform/features It is a program that runs on a USB or portable external drive.  I use it when traveling.  You can plug the USB drive in any PC and you have access to your go to programs.  I have my browser (with all my bookmarks), my mail client, LibreOffice and many others.  Portable Stickies are just as useful away from home as the are at home.  When I start the portable apps program on my home computer, which always has Stickies running, the portable version tries to start also, giving the conflict message.  As I said it is just a minor annoyance that I can easily deal with for the convenience of having Stickies with me whenever I need it.
LaurentG

Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:33 pm
If I have understood (maybe, but not 100% sure !), it is a feature of your USB key that automatically start softwares present on the key, when the key is plugged in.
So, it is very likely somewhere on your key that you have something to parameterize differently....
Since I do not know (yet ?) this tool, I cannot help you more.

But, (provided I understand well....), Stickies installed on your home computer, and Stickies installed on your USB key are two separate instances, each with its own separate database (and then its separate set of notes). How do you manage merge of stickies present on home computer and those present on USB key ?

PS : According to https://portableapps.com/support/platform#advanced it seems that managing autorun of portable apps has to be done editing the PortableAppsMenu.ini file within your X:\PortableApps\PortableApps.com\Data directory
Gene95

Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:19 pm
https://portableapps.com/
https://portableapps.com/apps/office/stickies_portable
From the StickiesPortable Help:
"Stickies Portable is the popular sticky note application packaged with a PortableApps.com launcher as a portable app, so you can have your notes on your iPod, USB flash drive, portable hard drive, etc. It has all the same features as Stickies, plus, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take it with you wherever you go. Learn more about Stickies..."

StickiesPortable is the only program that tries to auto run when I start the PortableApps Platform. Not a big issue but I was curious.

"How do you manage merge of stickies present on home computer and those present on USB key ?"
You don't.  The easiest way to save the portable notes to PC is to just "File > Save as >to root of USB and copy to PC when you get home.  They are the same format and open just fine with the regular stickies program.

Portable Apps have been a life saver for me.
SPOOK
SPOOK

Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:46 pm
I think I would try renaming the STICKIES.exe on the USB to something like StickiesUSB.exe, OTHERWISE:

Ya, I think LaurentG is right, PortableApps is placing some sort of AUTORUN on your USB.

This is how I run all my portable ZHORN STICKIES. (18 currently) 

TO RUN AS PORTABLE:

BACKUP your Stickies.db file somewhere.

Run the standard ZHORN STICKIES install then copy all files (3 + SKIN FOLDER) to a different Stickies folder on your computer and on your USB .

mdb2db.exe
stickies.chm
stickies.exe
skins (folder)

Then un-installed the standard C:\ ... Programsx86/Stickies. (This is needed to allow STICKIES to run properly as a portable, could be part of the problem.)

Make a Shortcut to the Stickies.exe Program on your computer and USB.

(There may be the PortableApps AUTORUN  left over on your USB, (Can be a hidden system file) If PortableApps has not made a special Hook-file for STICKIES that might mess it up, 
REFERENCE: FF&F As Portable and -allowmultiple STICKIES CONFIGURATION
(If you are just copying the STICKIES files back and forth to your USB and computer you will not need to use -allowmultiple.) 
END
Gene95

Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:05 am
No hidden auto run files anywhere on the USB.  Not a major inconvenience.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum