Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
decoy_oct

Caffeine - Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) issues Empty Caffeine - Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) issues

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:53 pm
Hello everyone,

There appears to be bug with caffeine 1.97 and WSL. I installed the Ubuntu WSL and opened nano, and it appears that whenever caffeine activates, nano is interpreting this as "ctrl+right" or something similar. The caffeine trigger has the cursor jumps to the end of the word. This happens with both the "useshift" command and without.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 1909 using caffeine64.exe. I usually launch with the options "caffeine64.exe -activehours:.......xxxxxxxxxxxxxx... -onac -lighticons -replace" but this happens even without any options. Also tested with passing the "5" option and waiting.

Let me know if more information is needed. Thank you.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Caffeine - Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) issues Empty Re: Caffeine - Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) issues

Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:12 pm
I've just got the WSL with Ubuntu up and running on a VM.  I had to enable virtualization on the guest's CPU for it to work ... so this is getting close to "Inception" territory Smile

I've run nano, entered some random text, and left the cursor in the middle of a line.  I'm also running Caffeine, just in "normal" mode.  This is in a W11 VM, which might affect the test?

Does this sound like I've reproduced here what you're doing there?

Tom
decoy_oct

Caffeine - Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) issues Empty Re: Caffeine - Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) issues

Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:19 pm
Thank you for the response, and thank you for putting the effort into this. I don't know if Windows 11 will produce the same results, and I don't think I can spin up a W11 VM anywhere... I'll see if I can.

I use caffeine on a domain connected laptop. I also have a desktop not on a domain. When I went to install WSL on my desktop, I noticed there were different Ubuntu versions. This is the one on my laptop:

https://microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBLGGH4MSV6

I installed that on my desktop, then had to install the wsl in an elevated command prompt with "wsl --install", and then "dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart" and then "dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart". I was still getting an error that WSL wasn't enabled, so I had to reboot my computer. Once I logged in, I got an automatic popup of the Ubuntu WSL window asking for a name and password.

I downloaded Caffeine 1.97, extracted it, and made a shortcut with the "caffeine64.exe 5 -activehours.......xxxxxxxxxxxxxx... -onac -lighticons -replace" options. I opened up nano on my Ubuntu instance and saw the strange behavior. I then tried running it with a new shortcut with just the "5" option, and got the same strange behavior. The cursor jumps to after the next white space or newline.

The only app that I think I have on both of these Windows 10 machines is the Stream Deck and Rainmeter. I closed those and still had the same strange behavior.

Thank you again. This app really helps me, and it's much appreciated.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum