Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
dhry
dhry

Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so Empty Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:10 am
Hi. Haven't been around for a while, just checked in and noticed the new v10 of stickies. Installed and seems to be working fine (I'm running 10.1 b2).

However something weird is happening. Periodically, like after an hour or so, I just get a new empty sticky in the middle of the screen as though I've created it, except I haven't. Properties show that the source is 127.0.0.1.

Now, while messing with it I DID turn on the "sync with friend server" option, but I completely turned that off and this is still happening so I'm not sure it's related.

I'm using Windows 7, not sure if that's significant. I also don't know if this is just an issue with the beta so I'm going to go back to the release version and see if it still occurs.

Any known issue, or anything else I can do to collect debug info or similar?

Dhry

Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so Empty Re: Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:10 am
You could enable the debug logging , it is in Settings traymenu  " other " and creates a more detailed logfile of activities and info.
It is a strange problem but as there is no other report here on the forum it seems likely that the beta version is the cause or the conversion from your old stickies to 10 had a problem.

The source 127.0.0.1 is your own system like sending a sticky to your own IP adress .
dhry
dhry

Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so Empty Re: Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so

Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:53 pm
Woke up this morning to multiple empty stickies.
Have turned on debug logging; let's see what we can find out.

https://servimg.com/view/20253703/2

Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so Image_11

BTW, image attachment is weird here. I tried to paste inline and it tells me that the message is "too long".
Edit: BTW, this doesn't just happen with the beta version. I reverted to 10.0d and this happened for that version as well.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:59 pm
WOoow   this is stickies retro style ! It reminds me of stickies running on win95 version 4.15 ( or something like that ) Smile

Lets hope the logfile give some answers . Nice avatar btw .

Greetings ,

I do not have problems with images do you use this for forum hosting an image ?

Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so Imgurl10
dhry
dhry

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:07 pm
Yeah, I absolutely can't stand the new look Stickies skin, the title bars are like five miles high. I'm an efficiency freak so I'm using an older skin that I modded years ago, works great and doesn't take up the entire screen per sticky. The manage notes system isn't thrilling to me either, with its animations and mystery icon strip on the left, but to each his own I guess.

When I had my screenshot before, all I did was just pasted from the clipboard into my post. It seemed to work fine pasting an inline image, but when I tried to submit the post it threw that "too long" error. Don't know what that's about, if it takes the pasted image it should work. Had to upload it to that separate image hosting location instead and then just link to that, like what you're highlighting.

I haven't had a spontaneous sticky created at all so far this morning, since I set up debug mode. I wonder if it's gone for good..
dhry
dhry

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:14 pm
Ok, it happened again. this time it looked like I got TWO stickies at once. Here's the debug log entries:

8/25/2020 9:12 AM.02 [CREATED ] Created (network): <X>1770<Y>1030<WIDTH>300<HEIGHT>-1<CREATED>1598371922<MODIFIED>-1<COLR>255<COLG>255<COLB>180<ID>554<SLEEPING>1<SLEEPNEXTWAKE>0<SLEEPALARM>0<SOURCE>127.0.0.1<TRANSPARENCY>0<RTF>
8/25/2020 10:12 AM.03 [CREATED ] Created (network): <X>1786<Y>1046<WIDTH>300<HEIGHT>-1<CREATED>1598375523<MODIFIED>-1<COLR>255<COLG>255<COLB>180<ID>555<SLEEPING>1<SLEEPNEXTWAKE>0<SLEEPALARM>0<SOURCE>127.0.0.1<TRANSPARENCY>0<RTF>

It's possible that the other sticky was created an hour ago though and was hidden or something, then just appeared with the newly created one, I dunno. It's 10:13am here right now for reference.

What're the next steps? Tom?
dhry
dhry

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:15 pm
Does this have anything to do with it??

Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so H9mfhQSAtZg6AAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Edit - wait, what? I can paste inline images now and it works. Wow.
Edit2: I just blanked out the friend server IP address and zero'd the sync period. Let's see if this continues to happen.
Bottom line, if it doesn't, then there's a problem with the Friends settings page as above, where friend syncing apparently continues to happen even if turned off.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:20 pm
Empty untriggered sticky spontaneously appearing on screen every hour or so 13b2c310

Here is it ...version 4.5 !  I agree with you , i actually downgraded back to V9 and when i see this on win95  ( just to play some game i am addicted to ...) i wish i could go back but i need
the image stickies to much !

Best regards

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:26 pm
: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 4:12:02 PM

Tuesday, August 25, 2020 5:12:03 PM

These are the conversions from the unix time stamp and the difference is .... 60min
Maybe you can check with a diff sync time if that is the culprit ?
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:57 pm
At one time there was a problem with a half-configured friend server causing notes to appear, but I thought I'd sorted that out.  Perhaps not.  If you're using an older version then yes, you do need to completely remove the "sync friends" stuff, as there was a problem there which would cause what you report.

I guess if you disable networking in Settings, then the problem stops happening?  The log file shows that the notes are coming over the network, after all.

Is there not another line in the activity.log which shows the source - most likely 127.0.0.1?

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum