Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
LaurentG

Reliability - Page 2 Empty Re: Reliability

Sun May 19, 2024 7:34 am
No, you didn't understand.
The "unvolunteer mistyping" I'm talking about is when, for some reason, focus is set on an existing sticky, sometimes with all its content selected. Clearly, this happens from time to time, I never catch the exact reason, I guess its due to some unvolunteer click on the mouse ?
If you didn't catch it (and you think focus is still on the web page you are looking, or on the application you are using), any keyboard entry goes into this sticky... erasing all (in case previous cnent is selected).
With locking, this cannot occur any more, since these keyboard entries are not effective in a locked sticky...
Mark Stick

Sun May 19, 2024 6:09 pm
LaurentG wrote:
SPOOK wrote:I agree, locking the working area is never useful.

I FULLY disagree !

Locking content is VERY useful.
Personnally, I'm always locking content of all my stickies just after creating them. This prevents me to alter unvoluntarily the content.

Huh?
Involuntary typing?

OK let's say you involuntarily typed something. All you need to do is type Ctrl-z and it goes away.

You can even type something in the Stickie, go to another app and type there, come back to the Stickie
and type Ctrl-z and it will still go away.
LaurentG

Sun May 19, 2024 7:38 pm
Yes, you can use Ctrl+Z.... provided you are aware of the problem.
But most of the time, I see it... too late to repair !

And even if being aware in time may allow to repair.... It is even better not to have generated the problem,, thanks to this very simple (and I repeat and insist : very useful) option of locking content.

If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't say it's useless....
SPOOK
SPOOK

Sun May 19, 2024 8:31 pm
OK, it's not useless. Here's the deal,it is so annoying to use it to lock the position only and then find out your work area is also locked.
Seems to me to hook these two together locked position and lock content might have been a bad combination. I'm thinking we need one button for lock position and one button for lock content. That seems to me would be beautiful. Might try lighting a fire under TR in the feature request.
LaurentG

Mon May 20, 2024 6:19 am
SPOOK wrote:... Seems to me to hook these two together locked position and lock content might have been a bad combination....

On this point, I agree !

Personnally, I'm not interested in locking position and size (why to do so ? I never moved nor resized a sticky involuntarily....), and then I unchecked the box in settings, and for me locking content do NOT lock position and size.... and I'm happy with that.

If I understand well, you'd like to be able to do the exact inverse : lock position and size without locking cpntent ?
As said before, I don't see the interest.... but I won't say it's useless  Reliability - Page 2 1f60b
Mark Stick

Mon May 20, 2024 5:39 pm
LaurentG wrote:
SPOOK wrote:... Seems to me to hook these two together locked position and lock content might have been a bad combination....

If I understand well, you'd like to be able to do the exact inverse : lock position and size without locking cpntent ?
As said before, I don't see the interest.... but I won't say it's useless  Reliability - Page 2 1f60b

I'm with Spook on this.
As I mentioned above locking content is not useful for me personally.

But locking position and size are definitely useful.

Additionally useful would be a button that could recall the position size after unlocking it.
There have been many times when I have moved my sticky up or down and then in the blink of an eye I lost the 'handle' of the sticky. It went beyond the screen and I couldn't move it any more. Sometimes 'rescue offscreen' couldn't even do it.
SPOOK
SPOOK

Mon May 20, 2024 7:17 pm
Mark Stick wrote:...Sometimes 'rescue offscreen' couldn't even do it.

Ya, sometimes those little buggers get stuck under the Task-Bar, or under another Stickie.

Mark Stick wrote:Additionally useful would be a button that could recall the position size after unlocking it.

Undo-Move would be a useful command, and a Redo-Move for a misplaced Focus.

In Settings instead of "Locking content also prevents moving and sizing" maybe something like:

Lock: Locks content
           Locks content and moving
           Locks content and sizing
           Locks content and moving and sizing
           Locks moving
           Locks sizing
           Locks moving and sizing

Or

Lock Locks: Content
                       Moving
                       Sizing

Pick all or some or one.

Please wait until TR gets my "Please post FF&F X50. Fine tuning update." done in Feature Request.
The Feature Request will knock my "Please post FF&F X50. Fine tuning update." out of site and I'm a little anxious to get that done as the naming convention he used will really mess things up for me and the users.

I figure in 20 years we'll all have a a chip in our brain and there will only be three programs on it:

1. A browser.
2. AI.
3. Zhorn Stickies.

Last edited by SPOOK on Tue May 21, 2024 1:42 am; edited 3 times in total

Mark Stick likes this post

LaurentG

Mon May 20, 2024 7:33 pm
Mark Stick wrote:But locking position and size are definitely useful.

If you say, I will certainly not go against ... but I am afraid of not understanding the case of use.
I would be smarter if you could explain to me the objective of such a lock and the corresponding use case.

Thanks in advance
SPOOK
SPOOK

Mon May 20, 2024 7:47 pm
If you have a Banner Stickie that other stickies Snap-to that banner stickie need to locked in position.

That Locked Gold Stickie on the top is a Banner-Stickie.

Reliability - Page 2 Refere15
Mark Stick

Mon May 20, 2024 8:36 pm
LaurentG wrote:
Mark Stick wrote:But locking position and size are definitely useful.

If you say, I will certainly not go against ... but I am afraid of not understanding the case of use.
I would be smarter if you could explain to me the objective of such a lock and the corresponding use case.

Thanks in advance

I use Stickies in a rather 'creative way' at times.

Any program that has the ability to create windows that can be re-sized and locked on top of any other current application on screen is useful to me (like Stickies).

In this regard, very often I will use Stickies to mask certain parts of the screen that I don't want to see!

For example if there is a sport score or result that I know will appear at precise locations on the screen I will position a few stickies at those locations to cover up these scores/results.
And then launch the video.

In this way I can watch the video and not know the result ahead of time. Stickies are very useful in this way (when their position and size can be memorized).
LaurentG

Tue May 21, 2024 6:48 am
OK. If I undersand (but I'm not sure...), more than lock position and size, what you want is to be able to memorize position and size... to be able to restore stickies in same place, isn't it ?

On the other hand, I do not have understood any thing to screen and stickies shown by @SPOOK  Shocked

Mark Stick

Tue May 21, 2024 5:05 pm
LaurentG wrote:OK. If I undersand (but I'm not sure...), more than lock position and size, what you want is to be able to memorize position and size... to be able to restore stickies in same place, isn't it ?

Yes that's right. For me it's very convenient.
I can name a set of stickies 'SiteA' or 'SiteB' etc. and when I visit that site and open the set, let's say 'SiteA',
the stickies will move to certain parts of the screen and cover up information I don't want to see.

It's really cool.   Smile
SPOOK
SPOOK

Fri May 24, 2024 1:28 pm
I was thinking, since you don't use Manage all those Stickies you have Closed have gone into your Trash. You might have at least a hundred stickies in your trash and some of them might have a big picture in them. If you go into settings you'll see where it says under APP "Close notes to keep" and the default is 100 I think. So you need to go into Manage and empty or clean up that Trash. That might be causing your White Screens.

Mark Stick

Fri May 24, 2024 2:26 pm
SPOOK wrote:I was thinking, since you don't use Manage all those Stickies you have Closed have gone into your Trash. You might have at least a hundred stickies in your trash and some of them might have a big picture in them. If you go into settings you'll see where it says under APP "Close notes to keep" and the default is 100 I think. So you need to go into Manage and empty or clean up that Trash. That might be causing your White Screens.

Thanks Spook. I just checked and had 32 in my Trash can.
None of them had any pictures in them though.

I deleted most and kept just 7.

I didn't even know about all of this Manage stuff before.   Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum