Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Sunhiker

Where is the Settings menu? Where is the About option? Empty Where is the Settings menu? Where is the About option?

Mon May 10, 2021 11:41 pm
I backed up Stickies 9 on my old machine. I moved the entire backup folder to my new machine. I downloaded and installed Stickies 10 onto the new machine, from Zhorn Software. The instructions said to consult Settings from the App menu. I click Settings, and nothing happens. No menu appears, nothing. There is no About option on any accessible piece of Stickies on the new machine. 

I am using Windows 10 Pro. I am about to give up on Stickies.

Where is the Settings menu? Where is the About option? Empty Re: Where is the Settings menu? Where is the About option?

Tue May 11, 2021 2:20 pm
Where is the Settings menu? Where is the About option? 166011

You do have the traymenu when you rightclick the trayicon ?

To move V9 to a new V10 installation , i think the easiest way is to install V9 first on the new PC and use the restore option in the traymenu to import your settings from the stickies backup . If V9 works you can install V10 it will update the files .V10 is different in its data file so a conversion is done to have everything inside store.db database file .

To clean install v9 it is best to delete all v10 installed files . ( you can search for stickies.exe and store.db to find the two directories )

The old installer for v9 is here : https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb00013-9.0e.exe

Sometimes on a win10 you get an error " Ordinal 12404 could not be located " then you need to update some microsoft libraries .

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26368

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update
vcredist_x86.exe
Sunhiker

Where is the Settings menu? Where is the About option? Empty Re: Where is the Settings menu? Where is the About option?

Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 am
Thank you. I failed to find the concealed menu because of a Win 10 Pro quirk: when using dual monitors with one dedicated to remotely accessing the old machine, the other monitor omits the ^ and all notification symbols from the taskbar on the monitor dedicated to the new machine. Not at all friendly, IMO. But then neither is installing and accessing Stickies, IMO.

Now you tell me I must expunge Stickies 10 from the new machine, install Stickies 9 instead, restore the backed-up Stickies, and only then will I be likely to succeed in restoring those stickies? Yikes.

Wed May 12, 2021 5:11 am
You can manually convert the v9 files to v10 stickies.db using mdb2db.exe that is part of the v10 installed files . But because it only taken 20 sec to install v9 and import your data it is much easier and the installer will take care of the correct directories.

Make sure you uninstall v10 and delete its data files (stickies.db) , only using the win10 uninstall function will leave the data files/directory !
Sunhiker

Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 pm
Thank you. I think I have all stickies moved to the new machine; I had to spend a couple of hours going through a long list that seemed to be "orphans", sorting them into Desktop/Close/Delete. Having already spent way longer than I should have on this conceptually simple task, now I am wondering what advantage I would find by upgrading to Stickies 10? Will I just encounter more obscure headache-inducing requirements?

Fri May 14, 2021 8:37 am
It seems you started stickies with an wrong/empty stickies.ini , you should use " restore " option in the traymenu that would copy the correct stickies.ini linked to your datafiles ( and it exits a running stickies during the changes ..... )
Sunhiker

Sat May 15, 2021 8:23 pm
Thanks. It was a worthwhile exercise, reviewing all those ancient importances.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum