Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
r0n

Contents of a sticky based on a textfile path Empty Contents of a sticky based on a textfile path

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:02 pm
Have the contents of a sticky to be based on a textfile path.

Example:
step 1: user right clicks on the title bar of a sticky, then the rightclick menu displays itself.
step 2: user selects "base content on textfile"
step 3: stickies then asks for the path to the textfile, and after the path has been set the contents of that textfile is shown in the sticky!

Why do this:
Assume the above 3 steps are applied on textfile within a folder that is to a cloud folder on their pc (dropbox,...)
This means the moment a user edit's that text on their mobile and the next time the user is working on their PC the stickie is updated!

Thank you!
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Contents of a sticky based on a textfile path Empty Re: Contents of a sticky based on a textfile path

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:56 pm
I guess the note would also need to write the content back to the text file if the user changes it on their desktop?

That sounds a little like a "cheap" version of sync, something I've looked into from time to time, but never finished writing.  The advantage of doing it this way I suppose is that a text file can be changed from a mobile device as you suggest.  I'd always thought that sync would need to carry over more attributes - colour, title, multiple notes, and maybe even stored notes as well.

Is that the sort of use case you're thinking about?

Tom
r0n

Contents of a sticky based on a textfile path Empty Re: Contents of a sticky based on a textfile path

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:42 pm
Yes, the sync part from any device was the idea behind this request. Even if not to be able to support text formatting (only plain text) would still be very welcome!
In fact, just leave the formatting for what it is and focus on getting the plain text from a textfile into a note. (but this is all "in my very humble opinion", I totally have no idea of the development impact this could have).
Thank you for considering this!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum