Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Kobac
Kobac

Stickies—64-bit? Empty Stickies—64-bit?

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:13 pm
I've seen several mentions on the Internet of Stickies being available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Yet when I run the installer, the default install location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Stickies, which indicates it is a 32-bit program.

I see only one installer to download and it does not ask me which version of Stickies to install.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 21H2.

So what's the story—is there a 64-bit version of Stickies?

Stickies—64-bit? Empty Re: Stickies—64-bit?

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:49 pm
Stickies is  32 bit , i think the reference 32/64 is for the operating system . It will run on both versions .
Kobac
Kobac

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:51 pm
Sooyke wrote:Stickies is  32 bit , i think the reference 32/64 is for the operating system . It will run on both versions .

I think you're right.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:15 pm
Yes, Stickies is a 32-bit app only.

I did get a 64-bit version going once ... but to be frank there's little benefit in providing it.  64-bit code does have some benefits, but none that Stickies can use.  You could also argue that it's faster to run.  True ... (no thunking) but in the case of a small notes app, "faster" isn't really relevant.

So, instead of offering all users two versions and causing much confusion, I still just put out the 32-bit version, which works everywhere.  As time goes on, there must be fewer and fewer 32-bit Windows installs left, but they are still out there.

<looks>

Huh, look at this: https://www.pcbenchmarks.net/os-marketshare.html

That last graph is pretty conclusive!  Maybe I should think about switching.

Tom
Kobac
Kobac

Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:30 pm
Thanks for your reply, Tom.

I've never had any speed (or other) issues with Stickies, but I always like to run a 64-bit version of any program if one is available so that's why I posted the question.

Your approach to keeping it 32-bit sounds very practical to me. Why change if it works as is?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum