Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MrBridgen

Stickies disappear from desktop Empty Stickies disappear from desktop

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:27 pm
I have had to replace missing Stickies now and then as they no longer appear on the desktop when the computer is switched on. 

My system is Windows 1803 (OS Build 17134.48)  

In view of the problems which so many users have encountered with Windows 10 I suspect it may be the source of this problem too, but I'm no expert.   Stickies has work fine until recently, so I don't believe it's that.  

Can anyone suggest a remedy please?
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Stickies disappear from desktop Empty Re: Stickies disappear from desktop

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:27 pm
Do you mean that the app isn't running?  If you go find and run c:\program files (x86)\stickies\stickies.exe, do your notes reappear?

If so, perhaps we'd need to check why the app isn't being started with your logon.

Tom
MrBridgen

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 pm
Thank you Tom.

Clicking on the executable file coughs up the only the latest Stickie.

The missing ones are nowhere to be found.

Stickies is set to start at switch-on, which it does - it appears in task bar.
guest_new

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:41 pm
Did you try the traymenu item " rescue offscreen " ? I " lost " stickies a few times but for some reason their position was offscreen.
MrBridgen

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:31 pm
Where is the traymenu item " rescue offscreen " ?  I've never heard of it and can't find it.
guest11

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:11 pm
Are you on win10? Click on the  " up  arrow"  on the left side of the taskbar ( notification area where the clock is ) you will find the yellow icon for stickies .If you rightclick it it will open the traymenu.
MrBridgen

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:42 pm
Oh, I see.  MY Stickies shortcut is on the taskbar, not amongst the hidden ones.   I just tried that but it doesn't show up anything.  The lost stickies have gone forever.  A damn nuisance, I can't remember what a couple of them were now ......
Never mind.

Thank you for you time.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:16 pm
By default stickies takes  auto backups , you can take a look at the AppData/roaming/stickies directory in the user account.You will find a subdirectory backup there and under in an rtf directory with all the text stickies.You can open the files in wordpad or notepad.

You can see the settings in the option menu under advanced, i guess default is 7days :

Stickies disappear from desktop ZuXEbb8
MrBridgen

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:40 pm
Yes, thank you.  

There were many entries, but I don't understand the rationale for dating.  Anyway I found all the ones which I had forgotten.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:01 am
SSIT is the "Stickies Selective Import Tool". It can help you recover Stickies data from a backup, or if you've lost stickies.

SSIT will open any Stickies data file, either a current file or a backup, and list the stickies it contains. The stickies, and information about them can then be viewed, and SSIT can then transfer the information from the items you choose directly into Stickies.

Just for information , there is a tool that makes it easier to extract a sticky from a backup or file:

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/tools.html#ssit
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum