Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
OldMainframeGuy

Stickies sometimes crashes during Windows restart Empty Stickies sometimes crashes during Windows restart

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:08 am
I'm running Stickies 10.1a on Windows 10-64.   Every once in a while, when I restart Windows, Stickies crashes with this message box: "The instruction at [hex address] referenced memory at [hex address].   The memory could not be read."    I have Stickies installed on 3 different computers (all Win 10-64) and it only happens on the one I regularly use.  I recently purchased a new PC and this problem has followed me from the old PC. All of my software has been freshly reinstalled.

Has anyone seen this?   

Thanks.

Rob
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Stickies sometimes crashes during Windows restart Empty Re: Stickies sometimes crashes during Windows restart

Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:39 pm
I've not seen this, no, and I hoped that there were no straight-up crashes like this in the app.  I'd certainly like to work out why it's happening, and prevent it.  Crashes are annoying.

You said it's not every time - are you able to do anything which causes it to crash?  A reproducible error is much easier to track down.  How frequently does it crash?  Can you turn activity logging up to "debug" level and then when it next happens, take a look at the activity.log file for what the last things which happened were?

Thanks,

Tom
OldMainframeGuy

Stickies sometimes crashes during Windows restart Empty Resolved

Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:35 pm
I was actually able to resolve this a few days ago.  Using Sysinternals "Autoruns" program I started eliminating programs that were loading during startup.   I found that when I did not load my password manager (Sticky Password, Lamantine Software) I did not have this problem.   Further poking around I found a FAQ entry on Lamantine's web site that showed how to exclude programs with which Sticky Password was causing problems.   I added stickies.exe to the "Ignored Apps" list and the problem was resolved.  Why Sticky Password would would try to interact with Stickies is anybody's guess.   I was very certain that this was not a problem with Stickies because I'm running this on a few computers with zero problems so it had to be something unique about this particular PC.

Rob
Sponsored content

Stickies sometimes crashes during Windows restart Empty Re: Stickies sometimes crashes during Windows restart

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum