Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
techymomof6

Stickies won't open Empty Stickies won't open

Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:38 pm
My stickies will NOT open.  I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling updated to newer version.  Resaving the stickies.  Identifying the stickies to open with program and nothing.  They just don't open in either 8.0 or 10.0.  They have always worked flawlessly.

Stickies won't open Empty Re: Stickies won't open

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:18 pm
Can you take a look here ? what is your windows version?
How did the problem started ? After a  crash or an update...

https://zhornsoftware.forumotion.com/t404-stickies-won-t-open

Best regards ,
techymomof6

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:27 pm
Thank you Sooyke, I'll take a look at the link. I have Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.  The stickies still show in closed if I open the manage stickies, but I can't open them from their location on their own like I used to.

It worked in Sept last I knew.  I use it to track TV shows we like to watch and since there hasn't been much new on lately, I haven't opened one recently.  Even if I create a brand new one, it will not open by just double clicking from it's stored location.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:09 am
Stickies won't open 27912

"  it will not open by just double clicking from it's stored location  "

What do you mean by stored location ? If you store a sticky , as far as i know you can only get it by rightclicking it and selecting sent to desktop ,  not by double clicking it ( also in v9 ).

The only way of using double clicking is on a sticky saved as .sti file .

Closed stickies ( the ones in the trashcan ) can be restored by rightclicking and "restore".

I hope i did not misunderstood your problem ?

Best regards ,
techymomof6

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
@Sooyke

Okay, so basically I have never opened the Stickies program in the past to open my stickies.  I just double-click from where they are saved in a folder, see attched pic.  They are .sti files and I would just double click, it would open, I'd make an changes, I'd save as to the file of my choice and reopen when I needed them again.  I never used the Stickies Program Manager.  If I wanted to make a new stickie, I'd just right click the program in the system tray and select New Note.

So is this basically how the program works now?  You can only access stickies from the program itself?  I liked the element that the stickies could be saved in any folder I'd like and I just simply double-click it from any windows explorer folder to open.

Thanks for any help.

Stickies won't open Untitl10
techymomof6

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 pm
UPDATE: SOLEVED!!  Okay, well it's fixed!  I opened every note that I needed in "closed", so they were all open in "desktop".  While they were all opened in "desktop", I deleted the rest in "closed".  I then resaved each note to it's location I had saved in the pic above.  Restarted the computer and now they all open normally with no trouble by just double-clicking them from their stored Windows Explorer File location.  YAY!! They must have gotten corrupted somewhere along the line.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:52 pm
" So is this basically how the program works now?  You can only access stickies from the program itself? "

The original idea was to have them on the desktop as " small notes " , you could hide them but they stayed as windows not as files.
I guess not many users are aware of sti files and to be honest i have no idea why they are needed as you can save notes as txt or rtf files. ( attach to email to another sticky user ? )

If you use them to gather information that you want to keep you can "store" notes and use " Manage notes " to recall or search them. In v10 you can use a " full house " of tools for editing/reading without creating a desktop version of the note .

But if storing them as sti files works in a practical way ... well it shows how versatile stickies program is Idea .

I use stickies to store snippets of code scavenged from ahk website for later use so they are not hanging around on my desktop only reminders for something i have still todo . Another use is as image editor to crop and annotate before uploading ( like the image in the other post ) stickies is really superior in ease of use .

Best regards ,
techymomof6

Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:25 pm
I never really gave it much thought until it stopped working. I originally wanted a program that would allow me to save the stickies in the folders where I needed to recall the information, rather than a program to open to find them all, which for me if I don't see it where I need it, it's not like a paper sticky note that helps you remember. 🤣

Since I searched for this program for that purpose, I never thought about what file extension it was because it saves as *.sti" by default through the program. To use other file extensions would to me be like using any other program like notes.

So if I'm in doing my bills and need a reminder, when I open my finance folder there I'll find my stickies!

Thanks for spending the time to work through it with me. 😊
techymomof6

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:42 am
I may have found what started my problem.  Posting for anyone else that may run into the problem I had.Stickies won't open Untitl11

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:04 am
Stickies won't open 60410

Did you download stickies from another site than the official zhornsoftware webpage like the examples in the image ?

" https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=PUA:Win32/InstallCore "

I wonder why windows defender is not taking a more robust action , just allowing it ?

I installed different versions of stickies ( including v8) in the last months to try out a problem with installing v10  from earlier versions but i do not seem to have this installer .

Stickies older versions are here :
https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00013

Thanks for the update , wish you a safe 2021 .

Best regards ,
techymomof6

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:16 am
Ironically, it is the original install file I've had for years from zhornsoftware.com. I only recently downloaded v10 to see if upgrading to it would fix my problem. It didn't. 🤷‍�

AND this flag from Windows wasn't something that popped up, I just happened to go into windows options for something else and saw it was asking me to fix something and there it was! I'm not totally sure it's related to the problem I had since updating to v10 didn't resolve it. I think something just got buggy in my files. Happy New Year.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum