Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
packetdog

Export/Import of Existing Windows 10 StickyNotes Empty Export/Import of Existing Windows 10 StickyNotes

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:00 pm
Good day,

I'm inquiring about the possibility of exporting and importing the existing content, formatting, and background color of a user's Microsoft StickyNotes product. Their product has changed a lot recently, and it lead me to look for something better. Clearly this software is leaps and bounds better than what Microsoft has designed, but making the switch is a lot of work. Is there a way to export from or import into Stickies? I don't mind jumping through some hoops, just not sure where to start.

Thank you,
-pd
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Export/Import of Existing Windows 10 StickyNotes Empty Re: Export/Import of Existing Windows 10 StickyNotes

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 pm
Although I did write an importer from Sticky Notes back when it was on Win7, MS changed the database format since then, so what I wrote no longer works.

I suspect there is a programmatic way to get at the Sticky Notes database (and there's certainly one for Stickies) but right now the hoops are control-a, control-c and control-v ... sorry!

Tom
packetdog

Export/Import of Existing Windows 10 StickyNotes Empty Re: Export/Import of Existing Windows 10 StickyNotes

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:25 am
Aww! Hopefully soon!
drbenak

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:00 pm
After reading this post I decided to see if I could decipher the snt file and discovered that the snt file is just a compressed zip file with wordpad files inside.

Can your old importer use these file or is there a way to import word/wordpad documents?
packetdog

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
Oh, that would be fantastic! Thank you for your efforts on this everyone! Keep us posted. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:51 pm
Taking a look at the file, it seems it used to be a .snt file, and is now in a file called "plum.sqlite".  For some reason.

Coincidentally, this is a SQLITE format file, and that's the same file format which Stickies 10 now uses.  

The data on my machine (seeing as I don't use Sticky Notes) the two test notes I've got here are stored in the [Note] table, and then in the field [Text].  However, I'm not sure what format the contents are then using, as when I apply a little formatting, the content looks like this:

\id=43bc2c28-38fd-46bf-ae9f-495b3ef750cc I wandered \b lonely \b0 as a cloud
\id=9a59f120-1845-4ab3-873e-aabbb4ad8899\i Which floats on high o'er vales and hills

That's two lines, the first of which has the word lonely in bold, and the second entirely in italics.

It gets more complicated when you add a picture or two, and I think the Sticky Notes application lets you draw using a pen, which would be hard to import into Stickies.

Still, an import app ought to be possible.

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum