Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
zultag

Error: Database already exists Empty Error: Database already exists

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:39 pm
Bear with me, I have already used "KB00088 - Database already exists"...

I've been using stickies on Dropbox as a portable app for a while and got this error this morning and found the KB and tried it but it didn't work. I've been wanting to move off of portable and Dropbox anyway, so I downloaded and installed the latest version. I used the built in 'Move Data Location' option first with the blank database to get it under Documents. Then, to play it safe, I used Restore to restore one of the recent backups from the Dropbox location. I still got the "Database Already Exists" message with the 2 most recent backup restores (completely wiping the data folder). Deleted the registry keys to go back to defaults at %appdata% blanking the folder so a new database would build again. Ran restore again with no better results and ran through every backup all the way back to Friday (wiping data folder between each one to let it build a blank because stickies closes when this error is encountered) but I still get this error.

Thanks!! Love the software very much! I've been using for many years.

Error: Database already exists Empty Re: Error: Database already exists

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am
You did all the things that logic would suggest Smile

So here are some out of the box thinking...sometimes the error message (certainly if it is a windows generated one) does not reflect the "real" problem.

- i would manually copy the backup store.mdb from dropbox to "downloads" and from there to stickies data directory to overwrite the default one ( if you clean reinstalled )
- i would scan my system for lingering sticky files  ( i use "everything"  from https://www.voidtools.com/  it is free ,save and fast )
- i would try the dropbox backup files on another PC ( i have 2 systems ...) or create a portable on a USB just to try.
- if on a 64bit i would check the " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<user>\zhorn " to see if some mirror entry is placed there ( unlikely but it happened with another app )

This is what i would try if i am getting desperate of other ideas    Sad
zultag

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm
Fixed. Files were marked read only.  Rolling Eyes

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:25 pm
Nice find , hope it will be added to the KB  Smile

Greetings ,
bennett0918

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:14 am
i had the same problem too.
i used 9.0e portable version (no need to install)
and i used win8.1 platform that all folders is read-only.(dont know why, but its so. seems all win8 os is the same.)
then i got "database already exists" error message when i try to start it.

my platform is 64bit cpu
and i checked " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<user>\zhorn "
it is not existed ==> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<user>\
(use 'regedit' to check.)

(i used usb flash drive(fat32) to try start the app, its still the same result. )

i dont know where the problem is.
or how do i do more trouble shooting?

i like the lovely app, its really helpful.
so i hope i can still use it on my win8 platform.

thanks for any sugestion.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:36 am
Whatever the problem with the readonly on your system ,  the usb portable should work .

- Do you have all the needed files on it ?   You can check here  for the required files   https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00002

- Are the files readonly on the usb ?  You should change it using the file properties setting .

You can change the read only on your folders using attrib command :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/326549/you-cannot-view-or-change-the-read-only-or-the-system-attributes-of-fo?wa=wsignin1.0%3Fwa%3Dwsignin1.0

If you google it there are a lot of complaints of suddenly folders turning read only without a known reason and the " normal " way of changing the ownership seems to fail in may cases ( using security settings in properties )

Best of luck
bennett0918

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:16 pm
after i installed stickies_setup_9.0e.exe, (not portable version..)
in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Stickies\,
only have 2 files and 1 folder,
stickies.exe, stickies.chm, and folder \skins\
and in skins\, only have a file stickies8.ssk

there is no store.mdb... and other files...

and when i start stickies.exe, it showed "database already exists"....

how do i do more trouble shooting?????

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:12 am
Stickies data files are in a different folder , on a win10 it looks like for a standard installation :

c:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\stickies\ 

You could search your harddrive for store.mdb or stickies.ini files ( there is an option in the traymenu to change the location ).  I use the free utility "everything" friom    https://www.voidtools.com  to find files it is much better/simpler than using the windows one  .

Did you manage to get the usb portable version running ?
bennett0918

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:47 pm
.....fail again...

i made a folder on usb drive and move all files and folders in that folder,
(2 folders and 6 files), this is portable version on usb.
and then start it, then,
a folder named "backups" is created automatically and system tray icon appeared
and again, a dialog box "database already exists" appear.
then tray icon is disappear.

start fail again...

read-only folder seems not the root cause , because folder 'backups' is created

i found a thing that stickies.ini , friends.ini and options.ini is full of null character, is this normal?
these files should not be text file?

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:03 am
Error: Database already exists 4sh6L0D

I created a default empty stickies installation on a usb and zipped it , if you want you can copy the files to a usb .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aruypq6la01jglw/stickies.zip

Did you search your harddrive for store.mdb ? My guess is that when you start from a usb and it cannot find a valid stickies.ini on it it will look on the default location on the harddisk . If the location there is write protected you get the error .

The solution is to create a usb with all the files or find the location of your data files of your harddrive and remove the read only attribute .

If you are suspicious of the everything utility just google it .You will find it is a well known and much used tool by IT people .

Best regards,
bennett0918

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:05 pm
it works, thank you.

store.mdb is existed on my win8 C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\stickies
and *.ini files not seems OK. its not text file. (full of null char.)
but, thats installed by officially release setup file.

so, i dont know why the official release could make mistake????

if you need more trouble shooting info for debug purpose, i can do it.

any way, thank you for the kindly helping.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:49 pm
 i dont know why the official release could make mistake

I guess it is not a mistake but when you install stickies and there is already a sticky program installed it will not overwrite existing datafiles . When you have an empty stickies.ini it still will be there after the reinstallation . To install a complete new set of files you will need to delete all data files in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\stickies first  (stickies.ini and store.mdb ). 

Before deleting you can take a backup of this directory so you have all old data if you miss something later   Smile

When the new stickies is running you can use "restore" from the traymenu to get the old data back ( if it still exist ) or if you have another backup copy the data files back ( you need to exit stickies first before copying ) 

Here is some info on the data files needed    https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00009
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum