Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
juice

sleep/snooze time options? Empty sleep/snooze time options?

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 am
So I was writing a review of the excellent Stickies software for my blog, and it reminded me that I was going to post this feature request. (I guess it's kinda meta-ironic that writing a review reminded me about something to do with my reminder software, but anyway...)

I'd like it to give some options as to the sleep length - currently the right-click dropdown for snoozing or snooze/sleeping it is just the one time you've set. It would be awesome if it gave you a choice to click, say, 10 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day (or three times that you determine) all in the one list.

I have a lot of recurring todos that pop up, as I use it as my todo list in addition to quick reminders. Mostly I can do them right away, which is great. Sometimes I need to put them off, and I've got it set to 10 minutes as the default, but sometimes I know that's too soon and I'd like to leave it for an hour, or put it off until tomorrow. Yes, I can click the note, then right-click, then navigate to the time I want to snooze it, but having the three options available directly from the right click would be awesome and much quicker. (And I don't think I'd abuse it any more than the current single snooze time :-)

I've got no idea if this is easy or stupid-hard to do, but it was just a thought.

Thanks again for the software, I's truly useful.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

sleep/snooze time options? Empty Re: sleep/snooze time options?

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:41 pm
Do you mean that you set alarms to trigger on your notes as they wake, and so you want to be able to set custom/more than one snooze time, the menu you get when you right-click a note which is sounding an alarm?

If it just the sleep options you need, then I'd suggest using the control-l menu and the using the keyboard to adjust the values and move the drop list time period around.

However, I think you mean the "snooze menu" instead?

Tom
juice

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:02 am
OK, so a sticky pops up on screen getting all jiggy wit' it, and I want to have it remind me again in a while. Currently, I right click and get two options:

Snooze alarm for 10 minutes
Snooze and sleep alarm for 10 minutes

I never use "Snooze alarm for 10 minutes" as if I'm not doing immediately I want the sticky to go away and then reappear for maximum reminder/prompting effect, and to be able to see the work I'm doing on screen (OK, reading Reddit).

So, what I'd like to see is this (with or without the purely snooze option):

Snooze and sleep alarm for 10 minutes
Snooze and sleep alarm for 1 hour
Snooze and sleep alarm for 1 day

So rather than just choosing one delay time in the options, I could choose three, and they'd all pop up in the right-click window.

Does that make more sense?
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:40 pm
Yeh that makes sense.  I've added it to the list of things to think about doing for a future release Smile

Tom
juice

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:00 pm
Awesome, thanks for that :-)
soul25

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:05 pm
I would like to suggest some ideas dealing with the alarm/sleep/snooze options.

first, as of now there aren't many differences between the Alarm & Sleep features (when my notes wake up from sleep they flash so it is actually like an alarm).

As of now I rarely use the current snooze feature b/c the 2 snooze options appear on the right-click context menu only when the note flashes.
When a note starts to flash, I click on the note to stop the flash. Then I read it and let it stay on the screen for some moments and only then I decide what to do with the note. Mostly I decide to make it sleep for 1 hour or 24 hours (which is actually like snoozing). So as of stickies V9.0e when I make my decision the 2 current snooze option are gone.

As of now the Sleep menus allow to choose whatever sleeping period the user wants but I think that adding the next 3 items to the Sleep menu (or even to the Main context menu) will make it even better (less mouse hovering):
Sleep for 10 minutes

Sleep for 1 hour

Sleep for 24 hours

I think that adding 3 keyboard shortcuts to these 3 options is also a good idea.

If I'm not mistaken the current "Sleep until tomorrow" is for sleeping until the next 00:00 AM and not for sleeping 24 hours. (BTW - I think many would prefer replacing the 00:00 AM with 05:00 AM)

Another suggestion (which is probably not so easy to implement) is for example letting the user decide the top 3 or 5  items in his  Sleep menu.

Thank you in advance.
juice

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:22 pm
soul25 wrote:When a note starts to flash, I click on the note to stop the flash. Then I read it and let it stay on the screen for some moments and only then I decide what to do with the note. Mostly I decide to make it sleep for 1 hour or 24 hours (which is actually like snoozing). So as of stickies V9.0e when I make my decision the 2 current snooze option are gone.

So don't click on it immediately?
soul25

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:35 pm
juice wrote:
soul25 wrote:When a note starts to flash, I click on the note to stop the flash. Then I read it and let it stay on the screen for some moments and only then I decide what to do with the note. Mostly I decide to make it sleep for 1 hour or 24 hours (which is actually like snoozing). So as of stickies V9.0e when I make my decision the 2 current snooze option are gone.

So don't click on it immediately?
@juice, what you suggest makes sense but most of the time my notes wake up on a part of the screen that I'm in the middle of working so I have to drag them to the side of the screen. So after the dragging the snooze option are gone... Crying or Very sad
juice

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 am
soul25 wrote:@juice, what you suggest makes sense but most of the time my notes wake up on a part of the screen that I'm in the middle of working so I have to drag them to the side of the screen. So after the dragging the snooze option are gone... Crying or Very sad

I've got all mine all set up over on the far right of my screen for that reason, yeah.
juice

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:09 am
OK, another take on this idea.

Being able to setup hotkeys for specific snooze and sleep times would be AWESOME!

(I've got a Logitech Gamer keypad that I can assign macros to, so that would make it super easy. Plenty of people these days have macro keyboards, so I'm sure it would be good for them as well.)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum