Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
boggleToggle

Networking changed with version 10; how to use? Empty Networking changed with version 10; how to use?

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:55 pm
I haven't used Stickies for a while. I'm trying out v. 10 for the first time. The networking seems to have changed. Previously, I could enter IPs or netbioses names for the friends. Now it seems I must store that data on a 'server'. I can find no documentation. Please help. Thanks.

EDIT: OK, I have managed to create a friends list on my Linux computer and point the Windows Stickies program towards that. (I don't know quite how one would set up Windows to Windows - but I myself don't need that.) However, it seems that to send a note one must type in the name of the recipient; there's no longer a menu comprised of a list of recipients . .
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Networking changed with version 10; how to use? Empty Re: Networking changed with version 10; how to use?

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 am
Actually the networking hasn't changed in a long while, specifically to ensure backward compatibility.  It would be useful to tidy up some of the communication methods, but that would be a headache getting the different versions to talk to each other.

The Stickies Server is there to help with maintenance of a central Friends list, but there's no data stored on it.  Call up the Friends list in Stickies with control-shift-f, which hasn't changed in over a decade (maybe two!) so I'm not sure what you think has changed?

Tom
boggleToggle

Networking changed with version 10; how to use? Empty Re: Networking changed with version 10; how to use?

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:23 am
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I just forgot where that list was. I've managed to find and use it now. The list - via the 'send to' feature - works well via 'PyStickies', for Linux.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum