Zhorn Software
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
teddyursa

Restoring Stickies from an old cloned HDD on a new PC Empty Restoring Stickies from an old cloned HDD on a new PC

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:34 am
So I had the unfortunate situation where a fresh install of windows was needed for a new SSD install. Thankfully I have my old SSD with the original data on, but I cannot boot it. So I managed to grab the AppData folder for stickies (9.0c) and I have various things in here.

Backups, Images, rtf folders, single files stickies.bak, stickies.bye, stickies.db, stickies.cfg, store.mdb, options.cfg.

But I can't seem to restore the stickies on this new install using Stickies v10.

Should I try 9.0c or have a swiped the wrong data folder? It should be somewhere on the old SSD, so please let me know. Thanks guys.
65Cobra

Restoring Stickies from an old cloned HDD on a new PC Empty Re: Restoring Stickies from an old cloned HDD on a new PC

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:57 am
I have the same problem. Changed from v9 on old PC to v10 on new PC but v10 won't import the v9 files. There are two SSIT tools... one for Stickies v4-v9... the other for Stickies v10 and on. But the tools won't let you cross over from v9 to v10. So unless someone knows a solution, the only thing I can think of is...

Install v9 and literally copy the contents of each Sticky to notepad. Then uninstall v9, reinstall v10, open blank Stickies and paste the old data from notepad. Thank goodness I wasn't particular about fonts, etc. But this is going to make my head  Arrow

Restoring Stickies from an old cloned HDD on a new PC Empty Re: Restoring Stickies from an old cloned HDD on a new PC

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:37 am
I would install v9 on the new system first and restore stickies ( if you have a stickies created backup it will be easy ) and then upgrade to version 10.
You can download the old v9 installer from here :

https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00013

I would remove all v10 related files before reinstalling v9 just to make sure it is a clean install.
65Cobra

Restoring Stickies from an old cloned HDD on a new PC Empty Restoring Stickies from an old cloned HDD on a new PC

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:56 am
I tried that right after I posted my previous reply. I actually used version 9.0d because I noticed it was the last version I actually used. I spent over an hour trying to expose the notes in one way or another but no luck. I even tried opening the MDB files with Access, then a Hex Editor, but nothing gave me a clue. I just tried again with 9.0e and the results are the same. Not sure what the problem is but it's not the end of the world so I'll live. But thanks for trying to help.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk

Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:48 pm
I thought I'd written this up, but clearly not - I can't find it anywhere.  I've just adjusted this article:

https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/support/kb.pl?q=00010

Is that clear enough - are you able to use those instructions to restore a v9 data set into v10?

Tom
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum